What is this service?
The Employee Development Department (EDD) of the State of California fully administers the California State Disability Insurance (CA SDI) program which consists of Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL). This State run program is paid for by employees through payroll deductions. Reference Benefits At A Glance or you pay stub to see if your bargaining unit participates in this program. For any questions on this benefit, please refer to EDD.
Disability Insurance (DI)
- DI provides 52 weeks of partially paid disability benefits at 60% - 70% of employee weekly pay for wages earned 5 to 18 months prior to your claim effective date.
- The maximum weekly benefit is $1,300/week for a non-work related illness, injury, or pregnancy.
- DI has a 7 day wait period for benefits.
Paid Family Leave (PFL)
- PFL provides up to 8 weeks of paid benefits to individuals who need to take time off work to care for a seriously ill child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or registered domestic partner. Benefits are also available to new parents who need time to bond with a new child entering their life either by birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
- PFL provides 60 – 70% of weekly wage replacement up to a maximum of $1,300/week for 8 weeks in a 12 month period. This is no wait period for this benefit.
General Information & Claims Submission
For the fastest service, access your claim information or file a claim online with SDI Online. You can also contact EDD representatives at 1-800-480-3287 for Disability Insurance or 1-877-238-4373 for Paid Family Leave, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
EDD Disability Insurance
EDD Paid Family Leave