Inland Vacation Rental Clearance

What is the process?

Step 1: Important

Please read through the entire application process before applying for an inland vacation rental zoning clearance. There are multiple steps that must be completed with the Planning & Building Department as part of the approval process.  Those steps are defined below and include wait times between applications to both the Planning Department and the Tax Collector's office.  


FAQs can be found at the bottom of this page.


Step 2: Verify Vacation Rental is Allowed

  1. Check to see if the property is in the Inland Area of the County.
  2. Check if property is in the Adelaida / Willow Creek Area or in Williamson Act.
  3. A vacation rental is not allowed in an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), Guesthouse, or Agricultural Worker Housing (also referred to as Farm Support Housing).
  4. Complete the form below to verify if a vacation rental zoning clearance can be applied for at a specific address:

Step 3: Wait for Response

Wait approximately 2 business days for the Planning Staff to reply to the business location verification before continuing to the next step.  

Step 4: Tax Collector - Business License Application

Apply for a Business License with the Tax Collector. Complete the Business License Application and email to [email protected] or mail to 1055 Monterey Street, Suite D290, San Luis Obispo, CA 93408. A Tax Collector staff member will contact you within 24 hours, Monday through Friday excluding holidays, to review and provide additional required information.

Please remember to continue to the next step with the Planning Department after this step is complete.

Step 5: Adelaida/Willow Creek Area - Required Documents

Required documents to apply for a Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance in the Adelaida area are:

  1. Completed Consent of Property Owner Form.
  2. A Site Plan of the entire property, proposed vacation rental, and parking.
  3. Completed Proof of Notification.
  4. Generate a Mailing List in Land Use View. Include all property owners within 1,500 foot radius of the proposed vacation rental. In addition, include main County Sheriff’s Office, local Fire Agency and local Sheriff Substation.
  5. Letter. Completed letter using the Sample Letter Template.


If property is also in Williamson Act, provide required documents listed in the Williamson Act Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance application process.

Step 6: Adelaida/Willow Creek Area - Ownership Change

For an existing Adelaida/Willow Creek vacation rental change of ownership, the following documents are required:

  1. Completed Proof of Notification.
  2. Generate a Mailing List in Land Use View. Include all property owners within 200 feet of the proposed vacation rental.
  3. Letter. Completed letter using the Sample Letter Template.

Step 7: Apply on PermitSLO

  1. Click on the PermitSLO link here: Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance 
  2. Click Apply
  3. Log In or Register
  4. Follow the step-by-step instructions.
  5. Upload the required documents before submitting (if applicable)

Step 8: Pay Invoice

Planning staff will email the billing contact an invoice. Pay invoice here*.

Once the invoice is paid, the project review timeline will begin.

Please note for all Planning and Building applications, after 15 days of non-payment of invoice, the application will be voided and resubmittal will be required.

Step 9: Review by Planning Staff

Planner review and decision to a completed application typically takes 2 business days after fees are paid. Application approvals are then forwarded to the Tax Collector's office. 

Step 10: Tax Collector Continues Processing

Once Planning staff approves the Zoning Clearance, the Tax Collector will mail you the business license. Contact the County Tax Collector at (805) 781-5831 with any questions.

Who can use this service?

This service is available to anyone applying for a County vacation rental business license that:

  • Proposes a new vacation rental; or
  • A change of ownership of an existing vacation rental

Is there a charge for this service?

Please refer to the Department of Planning & Building Fee Schedule for application fees.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Frequently Asked Questions

PermitSLO Portal


Follow Us on Social Media

Let's Get Connected for Our Latest News & Updates