Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at

Public Works will re-open our front counter to the public on July 6 and start providing some modified services.  Our hours will be 8 – 5, with closure from 12 – 1:30 for sanitation. Masks are mandatory in our building, and we ask that you adhere to physical distancing protocol. We will have limited services at our front counter and will not be accepting drop in meetings.  Please contact 805-781-5252 to make an appointment with staff.  Bus passes can be purchased at the Kiosk on the corner of Osos and Palm or by phone via Follow us on Twitter @SLOCountyPWD for the latest updates.

Return to the top of the page

Contact Public Works via web form, email, or call us at (805) 781-5252.

Sewer and Water Connections (Will Serve)

What is the process?

Step 1: Submit a Request for Water or Sewer Availability Letter

Individuals requesting water or sewer service for a single service must complete a Request for Water or Sewer Availability Letter. The applicant must fill out the form with the following information:

  • Name, current address and telephone number for both applicant and agent
  • New service property street address
  • Assessor's Parcel Number and lot and block numbers for the property for which the service is being requested
  • Planning Department development file number (if the property owner has it)

Step 2: Verify Eligibility

District staff shall verify the subject property is located within the county service area and provide an estimate for the associated service connection service fees.

Step 3: Pay Fee

Submit your Water and Sewer Service fee to the Public Works Department Accounting staff. If you have any questions about your payment, please contact the Public Works Accounting staff at (805) 781-5252.

Step 4: Service Installation

Once your payment has been received, the district operator will proceed with the appropriate service installation.

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the potential for liability, all service line and/or water main installations must be performed by either District staff or a licensed contractor on contract with the County. An applicant for water service CAN NOT use their own contractor for these installations.

Who can use this service?

Residents of the County Service Areas. View the CSA boundary maps here.

Is there a charge for this service?

Fees are based on the location and diameter of the lateral connection.

Meter Fees

Cayucos CSA 10A 5/8", 3/4", 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2" $325-$375
Shandon CSA 16 5/8", 3/4", 1" $325-$395
Santa Margarita CSA 23 5/8" $350

Connection Fee (Single Family Residence)

Cayucos CSA 10A $8,100
Nipomo CSA 1 $2,000
Oak Shores CSA 7A $2,075
San Luis Obispo Country Club CSA 18 $2,500
Shandon CSA 16 $2,800
Santa Margarita CSA 23 $2,000

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Public Works via web form, email, or call us at (805) 781-5252.