Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at

Beginning Tuesday, July 7th, 2020, from 9 AM to 1 PM, the Veterans Services Office will assist Veterans who would like to have Veteran Designation applied to their CA Drivers License or State ID card. Veterans will be helped on a walk-up basis in our outdoor office set-up. Per California Department of Public Health, please wear a face covering.  All other appointment matters are currently being addressed by phone. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a phone appointment, please call 805-781-5766.

Return to the top of the page

Like us on Facebook!


Breanne Salmon, Mental Health Counselor, dial (805) 748-2403 or email [email protected].

Supportive Services for Veterans Families (SSVF), regarding eligibility for homeless services, call (805) 534-1698.

Cal Vet College Tuition Fee Waiver

Who can use this service?

Eligible veterans' dependents may apply for this benefit.

  1. Students must meet the California residency requirements as determined by the school they will attend AND
  2. Students who meet the requirements of one of the four plans options (listed in FAQS below).

What is the process?

Step 1: Gather Documentation

  1. Veteran's DD214 (Discharge document)
  2. Veterans award letter/rating letter issued by Department of Veterans Affairs within the last 12 months.  If you do not have a current document, one can also be obtained from eBenefits.
  3. The College Fee Waiver Application form must be fully completed and signed by the student and the veteran (or parent, but you must explain why the veteran is not available).  Form must be completely filled out. If a question does not apply, write "N/A”. If neither parent is available to sign, please attach an explanation.
  4. A child, under PLAN B, must submit either a copy of their federal income tax form 1040 or state income tax form 540, from "Last Year" or, if a child does not have a copy of their income tax, or if a child did not file a return, they must submit a statement from the Internal Revenue Service (800-908-9946) or the FranchiseTax Board (800-852-5711) which must verify the amount of adjusted gross income or the fact that a return was not filed. **NOTE**: Current academic year entitlement is based upon last year’s adjusted gross income and value of support. For Example: If applying for benefits for academic year 2017-2018, the total amount of your reported adjusted gross income and value of support from calendar year 2016 will be used to determine eligibility.
  5. If you are a child of a veteran, you must attach a Verification of Dependency. Acceptable verifications include, but are not limited to, a Birth Certificate, Adoption Records, and Marriage Certificate. Those seeking status as an Adopted Child or as a Stepchild must have entered into such status prior to the child’s 23rd birthday.



Step 2: Apply

All College Fee Waiver Applications and supporting documentation must be submitted to the Veterans Services Office, located in San Luis Obispo at 801 Grand Avenue, San Luis Obispo, California 93401.  In this instance, you do not need an appointment.  Once eligibility is determined, a formal letter will be mailed to the student and the college, stating eligibility status. 

Step 3: What To Do If You Receive a Denial Letter

If you receive a denial letter and you disagree with the Veterans Services Officer's decision, you may appeal to: The Office of the Deputy Secretary, Veterans Services Division, 1227 ‘O’ Street, Suite 105, Sacramento, California 95814. Please note that your appeal must be in writing, stating the reasons you feel benefits should be granted, and filed within 90 days of the date of the denial letter.  Your appeal should include evidence, and/or statements that support your belief that the VSO's denial of benefits is in error.  Be sure to include a copy of your denial letter and a telephone number where you can be reached during normal working hours.

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

SLO Veterans Memorial Building

Monday - Friday 9-5

801 Grand Avenue San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-5766

Fax: (805) 781-5769

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I be reimbursed if I already paid my tuition?

Education Code, Section 66025.3(a)(2)(A), does not provide the authority to grant college fee waiver benefits if the veteran does not have a service-connected disability rating. However, an exception exists and relates to college fee waivers received under the provisions of Military & Veterans Code Section 890.3(a)(1). The law permits retroactive fee waiver benefits from the college system when a claim is denied, due solely to the fact that the veteran in question has a claim pending with the USDVA for service connected disability or death benefits, but has yet to be awarded such benefits and in the future the USDVA adjudicates a service connected rating and the veteran brings back the denial letter(s) for each academic year during which the student or veteran applied.

Who is eligible for the College Tuition Fee Waiver?

Plan A


  • The unmarried child of a veteran who is totally disabled due to service-connected disabilities or whose death was officially rated as service-connected is eligible. The child must be over 14 years old and under 27 years old to be eligible. If the child is a veteran, then the age limit is extended to age 30;
  • The spouse or Registered Domestic Partner (RDP) of a wartime veteran who has been rated as service-connected totally disabled is eligible. There are no age limit restrictions;
  • The unmarried surviving spouse or RDP of a wartime veteran whose death has been rated as service-connected is eligible. There are no age limit restrictions;
  • Any dependent of any veteran who has been declared missing in action, captured in the line of duty by hostile forces, or forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power is eligible.

The veteran must have served at least one day of active duty during a period of war as declared by the U.S. Congress, or during any time in which the veteran was awarded a campaign or expeditionary medal. Concurrent receipt of benefits under Plan A and VA Chapter 35 benefits is prohibited. To receive benefits under Plan A, a dependent must sign an "election" statement acknowledging this fact. There are no income restrictions under this plan. To be eligible, the event which caused basic entitlement to benefits (i.e., the date the veteran died of service-connected causes or the date the VA rated the veteran as totally disabled as a result of service-connected disabilities) must have occurred prior to the child's 21st birthday.

Plan B
The child of a veteran who has a service-connected disability, or had a service-connected disability at the time of death, or died of service-related causes is eligible. The child's annual income, which includes the child's adjusted gross income, plus the value of support provided by a parent, may not exceed the annual income limit. The current academic year entitlement is based upon the previous calendar year's annual income. Under Plan B, wartime service is not required and there are no specific age requirements. Children are the only dependents eligible under this plan. There is no prohibition against receiving concurrent VA Chapter 35 benefits.

Plan C
Any dependent of any member of the California National Guard, who in the line of duty while on active service to the state, was killed, died of a disability resulting from an event that occurred while in active service to the state, or is permanently disabled as a result of an event that occurred while in the service to the state is eligible. Surviving spouses or RDPs who have not remarried are also eligible.
"Active service to the state," for the purpose of this benefit, means a member of the California National Guard activated pursuant to Section 146 of the Military and Veterans Code. A copy of those orders pursuant to Section 146, not Section 143, must be furnished to establish eligibility.

Plan D
Medal of Honor recipients and children of Medal of Honor recipients under the age of 27 may qualify. Benefits under Plan D are limited to undergraduate studies only, and applicants are subject to both income and age restrictions. There is no prohibition against receiving concurrent VA Chapter 35 benefits.

Like us on Facebook!


Breanne Salmon, Mental Health Counselor, dial (805) 748-2403 or email [email protected].

Supportive Services for Veterans Families (SSVF), regarding eligibility for homeless services, call (805) 534-1698.