Food Facility Health Permitting

What is the process?

Review Operational Requirements

Read and comply with the Requirements for Permanent Food Facility reference document, or refer to the California Retail Food Code

If planning to perform Catering Operations, read and comply with the Catering Operation Requirements.

Please note additional requirements may apply if the facility is to undergo construction/remodel or recently underwent construction/remodel.

Additional licensing may be required for facilities where soft-serve ice cream and yogurt products are served.

Submit Application

Submit a completed Health Permit Application for Permanent Food Facility form. Please note, health permits are non-transferrable.

Pay Health Permit Fee

The permit fee is due with the application. Please refer to the Environmental Health Permit Fee Schedule for more information.

Provide proof of food safety certification

  • All Permanent Food Facilities where nonprepackaged potentially hazardous foods are handled and/or served must have at least one owner or employee who has successfully passed a food safety certification course.


  • Proof of certification shall be provided upon request for a permit to operate or within 60 days of obtaining a permit to operate.


  • A food handler card obtained through an online course will only be acceptable for Permanent Food Facility employees in addition to the certified owner or employee, not in lieu of the certification course.


Schedule Inspection

Contact us if you have any questions or to schedule an inspection of your Permanent Food Facility prior to opening for business

Await Inspector Approval to Begin Operation

It is unlawful to begin operation of a new Permanent Food Facility without first receiving approval from an inspector in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.

The inspector will grant approval to begin operation upon completion of an opening inspection.

Who is eligible?

This service is available to all businesses wishing to obtain an initial permit or renew a permit for a food facility located within San Luis Obispo County.

Is there a charge for this service?

Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Monday - Friday 8-5

2156 Sierra Way Suite B
San Luis Obispo , CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-5544

Fax: (805) 781-4211