Apply for Child Support Services

What is the process?

Apply: Apply for Child Support Services

You can apply for services in four ways:

  1. Submit an application on line through the Online Application (OLA). The state approved on line application process is easy, secure, and available at no cost to you. Once your application is submitted through OLA there will be additional forms or information required in order to proceed with your request.         VIOLA button                                            

Print and complete an Application for Child Support Services Packet in English or Spanish and mail to our office at 1200 Monterey Street, San Luis Obispo, Ca 93401. 

  1. Contact our office by phone at 866-901-3212 and request an application be mailed to you.  Please note that phone lines are open from 1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
  2. Come into our local office between office hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. and request an application.

*If you are receiving California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs), and a parent is absent from the home or establishment of legal parentage is necessary, a referral for child support services will automatically be sent by the Department of Social Services to DCSS.

When completing the Application for Child Support Services Packet it's important to provide as much information about the parties as possible.  DCSS will make every effort to locate a parent, but in order to proceed with court order establishment or enforcement it's imperative to provide the name, date of birth, Social Security Number, and location of the person paying support's (PPS) residence and employer. 

Who can use this service?

California's Child Support Services Program works with parents and guardians to ensure children and families receive court-ordered financial and medical support. Either parent (the person paying support or the person receiving support), or the caretaker/ guardian of a child may open a Child Support Case by completing an application. DCSS will also open a case for any individual receiving California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKS) who has been referred by the county Department of Social Services. Court ordered legal guardians of a child, who do not receive Calworks may also open a case for support against both parents.

Is there a charge for this service?

Under federal law, the California Department of Child Support Services is required to charge a yearly service fee for certain, non-assisted cases. If the fee applies to you, you will receive an annual service fee assessment notice in October for each case to which the fee applies. This annual $35 fee is for cases that receive payments equal to or more than $550 when assessed on October 1.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Apply for services below.

Apply for Services

Solicitar Servicios