Child Support Order Modification

Who can use this service?

Anyone can use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Contact Child Support Services

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

1200 Monterey Street - SLO

Monday - Friday 8-5

1200 Monterey Street San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (866) 901-3212

Fax: (805) 781-1293

Frequently Asked Questions

I am the parent paying support, but my child lives with me now. Can the Child Support Order be changed?

Yes. When there is a change in visitation or custody of the child, you can either go to court to ask for a change in the child support order, or you may contact the Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) to ask the court to modify the court order. You may be able to reduce the child support you pay or begin receiving child support from the other parent.

I would like to spend more time with my child. Can the LCSA change the visitation schedule?

No. The Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) only handles matters related to child support. Custody and visitation issues must be addressed through the courts. Every County has a Family Law Facilitator at the courthouse to provide child support information and assistance to parents. Family Law Facilitators help parents obtain and complete court forms and all services provided are free of charge.

If either parent loses a job or is earning more money, will child support automatically be changed?

No. A Child Support Order can only be changed by a new order or a stipulation approved by the Court.

Either parent may request a review of the child support case if there is a change in circumstances. Support orders may be changed if there has been a substantial change in circumstances, such as, an increase or decrease in either parent’s earnings, a change in custody, or a change in the amount of time the child spends with each parent. For more information see Pub160: Child Support Handbook

If the parent ordered to pay support goes to jail, will the party receiving support still receive payments?
Unless the parent in jail has other assets, such as a house or a car, or other income, child support will be nearly impossible to collect. A parent paying support who goes to jail should contact the Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) to modify the child support order. Otherwise, past-due child support may continue to grow and the incarcerated parent will be responsible for paying past-due support plus interest when released.
Is there any way to avoid having to go to court?
Yes. You can avoid going to court by signing a legal agreement (stipulation). The parent paying support and the Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) can agree (stipulate) on the amount of child support if the party receiving support is receiving welfare benefits. If neither parent is receiving welfare benefits, then both parents may sign a legal agreement (stipulation) that establishes paternity and makes a formal arrangement to make child support payments.
What else is in a stipulation?
Stipulations vary with circumstances, but the usual stipulation contains the agreement that the parent paying support is:
  • the parent of the child
  • willing to pay child support
  • willing to provide health insurance for the child if it is available through the parent’s employer
  • willing to allow the court to enter an order without appearing in court
My ex-spouse has remarried and has another family to support. How does this affect the support owed to our children?
The amount of the Child Support Order may be decreased if the parent paying support is also financially responsible for children from another relationship. It is still up to the court to make a change on any Child Support Order.

Apply for services below.

Apply for Services

Solicitar Servicios