Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at

Behavioral Health COVID-19 Service Updates: Read Here

Return to the top of the page

Please contact our access line at 1 (800) 838-1381 for information or to schedule an appointment. All services are available in Spanish.

Access to Mental Health & Substance Use Disorder Services

Who can use this service?

Anyone may use the Central Access Line. SLO residents and SLO Medi-Cal (CenCal) beneficiaries may be eligible for ongoing services.

Is there a charge for this service?

The Central Access line is free of charge. Ongoing services are free for most SLO Medi-Cal (CenCal) beneficiaries. The Behavioral Health Department helps SLO residents who do not have Medi-Cal find resources and may provide some services on a sliding scale basis.

When and where is this service offered?

The Central Access Line is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I am (or someone I care about is) in crisis?
  1. If you or a person you care about is a danger to self or others or needs medical help, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY!
  2. If the danger is not immediate, call 1 (800) 838-1381. You may be connected with our Mental Health Evaluation Team (MHET).
  3. Visit any of our local clinics
How do I get mental health services?

To get Mental Health services: 

  1. Call 1 (800) 838-1381
  2. Contact Us through our website
  3. Visit any of our local clinics: 



How do I get substance use treatment?

To receive substance abuse treatment: 

  1. Call 1 (800) 838-1381
  2. Contact Us through our website
  3. Visit any of our local clinics
Can I complete intake paperwork before my appointment?

Yes - use the following links to find the paperwork you will need to begin our services. Print and complete the forms and then bring them with you to your first appointment. Some programs will have a few additional forms for you to fill out when you arrive.


Mental Health and Drug & Alcohol Services:

Mental Health Only


What if I need help completing my paperwork?

If you need help with paperwork, we will provide free help for you.  We work with Language Line Solutions to provide help in any language spoken in SLO County.  We even have a contractor who can assist with American Sign Language (ASL) and have many forms and booklets available in large font.

Ask our reception staff for help.  Two other great sources of help our our Patients' Rights Advocate and our Service Enhancement Team.

What if I need residential substance use services?

For residential substance abuse services:

  1. Call 1 (800) 838-1381
  2. For more information: Substance Abuse Residential Services
What is "medical necessity"?

"Medical necessity" means that you meet the requirements to receive our services, which are described in  the law. 

For Mental Health Services, the law requires that we meet with you to see if:

  1. You have a mental health diagnosis (condition) that we can treat
  2. Your diagnosis results in significant impairments or risk of having significant impairments
  3. The services we offer needed to help you and are likely to help you

If you do not meet medical necessity for our services, we will help you find services that will help you.  We often refer Medi-Cal (CenCal) beneficiaries to other services in the community through CenCal.

For Drug & Alcohol (Substance Use Disorder) services, the law requires that you have a substance use problem that interferes with your life.

Does Medi-Cal pay for my services?

There are several different kinds of Medi-Cal: 

  • "Full Scope" is the most common type and pays for services in full. 
  • "Share of Cost" Medi-Cal has a set monthly amount that you must pay before Medi-Cal covers your care.
  • "Restricted" Medi-Cal pays for some services but not others. Common restrictions include Pregnancy and Emergency coverage.

The best way to know which type you have is to contact your eligibility worker at Department of Social Services or visit the DSS Medi-Cal page.

We will work with you to set up a sliding scale plan if you do not have Full Scope Medi-Cal.  See Client Cost Explanation and Agreement or Explicación de Costo y Acuerdo for more detail. 

How do I apply for Medi-Cal to help me pay for services?

Visit the Department of Social Services Medi-Cal page for information to apply for Medi-Cal.

What is the difference between Medi-Cal and CenCal? How do I know what I have?

CenCal Health is the the Medi-Cal Managed Care Plan for almost all SLO County residents who have Medi-Cal. If you have a CenCal card, you have Medi-Cal.  For more information about your benefits, contact CenCal customer services:

1 (800) 421-2560

Who are Network Providers?

Network Providers are licensed therapists in our community who provide individual, group and family therapy for Medi-Cal (CenCal) beneficiaries. 

IMPORTANT: Call 1 (800) 838-1381 for an assessment to determine if you qualify for Network Provider services

Our Provider List contains information about specialties, service locations and options for cultural and language services. Mental Health Provider List

Please contact our access line at 1 (800) 838-1381 for information or to schedule an appointment. All services are available in Spanish.