Project Management Office
The Information Technology Department's (ITD) Project Management Office (PMO) furnishes IT Project Managers to help departments plan and successfully execute IT projects that have been approved through the Countywide governance and oversight committees. These trained professionals help ensure the success of County IT projects through the management of critical project constraints: time, cost, and scope. The PMO manages IT projects through the entire lifecycle: initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing.
The PMO offers a wide range of services, including:
- Gathering and documenting requirements
- Managing vendor relationships and contracts
- Conducting Requests for Proposal (RFP) projects
- Implementing Commercial-Off-the-Shelf (COTS) software packages
- Teaching the project management discipline through the County's Learning and Development Center
The PMO's seamless execution of projects includes:
- Creating a plan based upon the common understanding of goals of the project
- Communicating clearly throughout the project
- Maintaining control of the project (scope, time and cost)
- Moving the project toward successful completion
- Gathering lessons learned to continually improve our processes and methodology
FY 2017-2018 Objectives
Projects in the Works
- Content Management System - Website Redesign
- Support the implementation of the new Content Management System and redesign the County of San Luis Obispo County Website making it easier to search for, find and utilize County services from any computer or mobile device by July 2017.
- Permit Tracking System Implementation
- Voice over IP (VoIP) Telephony System Replacement
- Replace the County's 33-year-old telephony system with a modern, flexible, scalable, and cost-effective Voice over IP (VoIP) system. This project, if approved, would start in July 2017, finish by June 2019, and result in over $300,000 in annual recurring savings to the County.
- Installation of High-Speed Optical Fiber Network with Grover Beach
- In collaboration with the City of Grover Beach, coordinate the installation of joint, high-speed optical fiber network within Grover Beach and provide data network connectivity to several Health Agency facilities by December 2017
- Installation of High-Speed Optical Fiber Network with Shandon
- In partnership with the San Luis Obispo County Office of Education, bring high-speed optical fiber to Shandon's CalFire, Public Works, and High School facilities by December 2017 at an estimated cost of $175,000.
- Building of New Communications Site
- Complete the build-out of new communications site at La Panza including installation of a new radio tower and communications equipment by January 2018.
- Upgrade Battery and Power Systems
- Upgrade the battery and power systems at three (3) mountain-top public safety communications site by March 2018.
- GIS and EnerGov Integration
- Integrate GIS with EnerGov, the County's new Permit Tracking System, by January 2018.
- GIS Parcel Data
- Complete the GIS Parcel Data Project by June 2018.