Who can use this service?

To be eligible to Cal-Learn, the teen must be eligible for the CalWORKs program:

  • The pregnant or parenting teen must live in the same household as their child
  • Be under 19 years when beginning the program
  • Not yet have a high school diploma or equivalent
  • Not be in foster care


Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

What is the process?

Step 1: Cal-Learn

The Department of Social Services collaborates with the Teen Academic Parenting Program through Community Action Partnership of San Luis Obispo (CAPSLO) to provide Cal-Learn services.  To qualify for Cal-Learn, a pregnant or parenting teen must first be apply for and be approved for CalWORKs. 

Their case manager will review their situation and refer them to Cal-Learn as appropriate. 

Once in Cal-Learn the teen will get a case manager who will help them develop a plan to finish high school or earn a GED.  If they are not currently attending school, the case manager will assist them in getting back into school.  The program includes an assessment, plan development, an action plan and period reviews.  There are financial bonuses for good grades and graduation as well as penalties for non-participation.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is offered to pregnant and parenting teens that are approved for CalWORKs. 
CalWORKs can be applied for on-line at anytime or in person at the Social Services offices near you.  Offices are open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m (Closed on County-observed holidays).

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Morro Bay Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

600 Quintana Road Morro Bay , CA 93442

Tel: (805) 772-6405

Fax: (805) 772-6409

SLO Social Services- Higuera

Monday - Friday 8-5

3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600

Arroyo Grande Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

Tel: (805) 474-2000

Nipomo Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444

Tel: (805) 931-1800

Atascadero Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6000

Paso Robles Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 237-3110

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is required to participate in Cal-Learn?

All pregnant and parenting teens under 19 years old, who do not have a high school diploma or equivalent and are receiving CalWORKS cash aid are required to participate in Cal-Learn.

Who can volunteer for Cal-Learn?

If you were in Cal-Learn before you turned 19 years old and were doing the program requirements, you can still volunteer to do Cal-Learn after you are 19 until you get your high school diploma or GED, or until you turn 20, whichever comes first.

What are the requirements of Cal-Learn?

The requirements of Cal-Learn are the following:

  • Go to school full time to get a high school diploma/GED
  • Turn in your report card or progress report to your TAPP Social Worker
  • Tell your caseworker if you move, change childcare or need other supportive services, or have trouble doing the program requirements
What types of case management support will I get with Cal-Learn?

You will receive case management services to help you with:

  • Making a report card schedule
  • Making an educational plan to help you graduate from high school or get your GED
  • Tracking your progress and helping you make changes to your school program
  • Getting referrals to other community services
  • Making sure that you know the Cal-Learn requirements and what happens if you do not meet the program requirements
  • Finding health care and other services
  • Telling you about the different types of childcare and how to get it
What happens if I don't participate or make good progress?

If you do not participate or make good progress, your case will be penalized for a GPA under 1.0 or failure to provide a report card for $100.  If the report card is late without good cause, a $50 penalty will be applied.

Is there any added benefit for getting good grades and graduating?

Yes, a bonus of $100 with a GPA of 2.0 or better can be issued up to four times per year as a benefit for getting good grades. When you graduate or earn a high school diploma equivalent, you can get a $500 bonus in place of the $100 bonus for that quarter.

What types of supportive services are offered with Cal-Learn?

Supportive Services that are offered with Cal-Learn may include:

  • Child Care – You may receive childcare for children age twelve (12) [depending on funding] or younger. You may also get help with paying for childcare for two years after you go off aid. 
  • Transportation - You may get help with travel costs to and from your school/training or work activities and childcare. Travel costs might be bus passes or mileage reimbursement. 
  • Work or Training Related Costs – We can help pay for books, tools, special clothing and other work-related costs, if needed. 
  • Personal Counseling – Mental Health, Substance Abuse, and Domestic Violence (DV) services are available. 
  • Parent Support – We can give you referrals to other agencies for help with parenting problems or support.

Contact Social Services

Child Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)

Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011
  • Mandated Reporter