Diversion Services

Who can use this service?

Only families that meet the eligibility requirements of CalWORKs are eligible for CalWORKs-Diversion services. This service is offered as an alternative to CalWORKs applicants that would prefer a one-time payment or referral in place of monthly cash aid benefits. 

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

What is the process?

Step 1: Apply for CALWORKS

Applications for CalWORKs can be done at any social service office or online at www.mybenefitscalwin.org.  Applicants will be asked to provide proof of all income and property as well as proof of citizenship and social security number.

Step 2: Interview for CalWORKS

All applicants are required to have a face-to-face interview prior to approval of their CalWORKs or CalWORKs Diversion application.  At this appointment, all applicant adults will be fingerprinted. At this interview, an applicant’s case manager will assess what exact verifications they will need to approve the case and will inform the applicant of these necessary verifications in written documentation with a due date.

Step 3: Notification of CalWorks

If an applicant provides all needed verifications and meets the eligibility qualifications, they may opt to receive a one-time Diversion payment or referral for childcare assistance instead of an ongoing cash aid monthly payment.  If the applicant does not submit required verifications or meet the eligibility qualifications, their case will be denied.  Applicants who have been denied can re-apply at any time.

When and where is this service offered?

CalWORKs can be applied for online at mybenefitscalwin.org anytime or in person at the Social Services offices near you.  Offices are open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Closed on county-observed holidays).

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Morro Bay Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

600 Quintana Road Morro Bay , CA 93442

Tel: (805) 772-6405

Fax: (805) 772-6409

SLO Social Services- Higuera

Monday - Friday 8-5

3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600

Arroyo Grande Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

Tel: (805) 474-2000

Nipomo Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444

Tel: (805) 931-1800

Atascadero Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6000

Paso Robles Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 237-3110

Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of services can CalWORKs Diversion assistance help with?

CalWORKS Diversion assistance can help with any service that would be helpful to a short-term crisis or would otherwise divert a family from needing ongoing cash aid, including but not limited to, security deposit, rent, utility bills, moving costs, rehabilitative services and childcare referral services

How much can I receive in CalWORKs Diversion services?

It depends on the cost of the service needed, but there is a standard limit of no more than $1000 per diversion for CalWorks Diversion services.

Can I receive CalWORKs benefits after I receive a CalWORKs Diversion?

Yes. CalWORKs Diversion services are only approved if it appears that referring or paying for a service will likely keep you from needing ongoing monthly support.  Depending on how much money was issued for the Diversion payment and how much time has gone by before re-applying for CalWORKs, the money may need to be repaid or your CalWORKs 48-month time clock and TANF 60-month time clock ticked.

Do any of my CalWORKs 48-Months or TANF 6-Months tick when I get a CalWORKs Diversion?

Yes, it depends on how much money was issued and whether or not you re-applied for CalWORKs within a certain amount of time after your Diversion as to how many months would tick.

Contact Social Services

Child Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)

Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011
  • Mandated Reporter