General Assistance Cash Aid

Who can use this service?

This service is available to low-income individuals and families not eligible to any other cash aid programs that are residents of the County of San Luis Obispo. 

The General Assistance Disabled program (GA Disabled) is for applicants with a short or long term disability determined by a physician or mental health doctor. If long termed disability, they must apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI/SSP) and Social Security Disability (RSDI).

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

What is the process?

Step 1: General Assistance Benefit Advocate

Individuals who have been determined eligible for the General Assistance Program, will be referred to meet with a Benefits Arch Advocate whenever the individual is expected to be disabled for 1 year (12 months) or more.  The Benefits Arch Advocate will provide personalized assistance in applying for SSI/SSP to the General Assistance participant. 


The Advocate schedules a meeting with the individual.  During the meeting, the Advocate will gather information necessary to complete an application for Supplemental Security/Sate Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP).  The participant will be asked questions about the nature of their disability or disabilities, medical history and work history. 


General Assistance Benefit Advocate

When and where is this service offered?

You must apply for General Assistance only at the San Luis Obispo Department of Social Services office, open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (except on County-observed holidays). 

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

SLO Social Services- Higuera

Monday - Friday 8-5

3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the income and property limits for the General Assistance program?

The Income limit for the General Assistance Program is $172.00. The Property limit is $250.00, but the property limit for liquid resources is $50.00.

How do I access my General Assistance benefits?

The County of San Luis Obispo issues General Assistance benefits through a debit card called an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT card).

Can I receive CalFresh & Medi-Cal at the same time as General Assistance?

People eligible to General Assistance may also be eligible to CalFresh & Medi-Cal.

Contact Social Services

Child and Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011