Homeless Assistance

Who can use this service?

Only families that meet the eligibility requirements for the CalWORKs program and have less than $100 in liquid assets are eligible for these services.

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

What is the process?

Step 1: Homeless Assistance Program

CalWORKs Homeless Assistance Program can be requested once an initial CalWORKs application has been completed.  The requestor will complete a CW 42 Homeless Assistance request and will be approved or denied for services no later than the end of the following business day.

When and where is this service offered?

CalWORKs can be applied for online at mybenefitscalwin.org anytime or in person at the Social Services offices near you.  Offices are open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Closed on county-observed holidays).

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Morro Bay Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

600 Quintana Road Morro Bay , CA 93442

Tel: (805) 772-6405

Fax: (805) 772-6409

SLO Social Services- Higuera

Monday - Friday 8-5

3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600

Arroyo Grande Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

Tel: (805) 474-2000

Nipomo Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444

Tel: (805) 931-1800

Atascadero Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6000

Paso Robles Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 237-3110

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get temporary shelter payments if I am not homeless?

No, temporary shelter payments are only for homeless families.

What is considered homeless?

A family is considered homeless when:

  • They lack a fixed and regular nighttime residence
  • They have a primary nighttime residence that is a supervised publicly or privately operated   shelter designed to provide temporary living accommodations
  • They are residing in a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodations for human beings
  • They have a need for a housing in a commercial establishment, shelter, publicly-funded transitional housing, or from a person in the business of renting properties who has a history of renting properties.
How long can I get temporary shelter payments?

Temporary shelter payments are available for up to sixteen (16) consecutive days once per year.  They are paid in two 7-day and one 2-day increments. Failure to return on a scheduled payment day will result in a loss of payment for that day and every day after until you come into the office.

For what types of shelter can I use my temporary shelter payment?

Payment for temporary shelter should be paid to an approved provider of housing. These are commercial establishments (motels, hotels, commercial campgrounds), shelters, publicly funded transitional housing or a person in the business of renting properties who has a history of renting property.

How much does temporary shelter payment pay?

Temporary shelter payments are up to $65 per night for a family of four and increase by $15 per night for every additional family member over four.

What do I need to bring to receive my second and third temporary shelter payments?

You will need to bring the following to receive your second and third Temporary Shelter Payments:

  • Proof that you looked for housing and proof that you spent the initial money given on an approved provider of housing will ensure your second and third payments are made out to you.
  • A minimum of one contact with prospective landlords for each day the AU receives temporary shelter benefits shall be required.  This should be tracked on a tracking log that your worker will give you.  You may contact prospective landlords in person, by telephone or in writing.
  • You will be asked to prove that your payments were spent on shelter. If you cannot prove this after the initial payment, future payments will go to a shelter, landlord or others instead of directly to you.
How much can I get for a security deposit and/or last month's rental and/or utility payment?

The County can only approve security deposit and/or last month's rental and/or utility payments for up to twice the amount of rent you are obligated to pay.

What are the requirements for the housing to get help with a security deposit and or last month's rental and/or utility deposit payment?

The requirements for ongoing rent must be at or below 80% of your family's total household income to receive any kind of permanent shelter payment assistance.

Does CalWORKs Homeless Assistance help with eviction prevention?

Yes, if your family received a "Pay Rent or Quit" notice, you may be able to get payments for up to two (2) months of back rent if that will secure your current housing.

Can I get both temporary and permanent shelter payments?

Yes, you may receive both temporary and permanent shelter payments if they are during the same period of homelessness.

Can I get CalWORKs Homeless Assistance more than once in a 12-month period?

The exceptions to the 12-month limit are homelessness due to: domestic violence, physical or mental illness, uninhabitability of the home or homelessness directly caused by a State or Federal declared natural disaster.

When does my 12-month period of homelessness begin?

Your 12-months period of homelessness begins when you request and are approved for your first CalWORKs Homeless Assistance Payment.

Contact Social Services

Child Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)

Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011
  • Mandated Reporter