Family Reunification

Who can use this service?

The following groups are eligible to use this service: 

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

When and where is this service offered?

Services are offered throughout the County of San Luis Obispo Social Services offices, which are open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (closed on County-observed holidays). During non-business hours, phone calls are forwarded to on-call staff who will gather the information and forward/respond accordingly.

The following numbers are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week:

  • ‚Äč(805) 781-KIDS (5437); or
  • (800) 834-5437

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

SLO Social Services- Higuera

Monday - Friday 8-5

3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600

Arroyo Grande Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

Tel: (805) 474-2000

Nipomo Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444

Tel: (805) 931-1800

Atascadero Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6000

Paso Robles Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 237-3110

Frequently Asked Questions

If our child(ren) are removed, where are they placed?

The Social Services Department prioritizes placement with family members or extended non-relatives whenever possible and appropriate. If your child is unable to be placed with family members or a non-related extended family member (NREFM), your child will be placed with a family in a certified Resource Family Home.

What happens if we do not comply with our case plan and reunification services are terminated?

If the Court decides that reunification services will not be offered or makes the decision to terminate reunification services, a permanent plan for your child must be made. These permanency plans include adoption, guardianship, or planned permanent living arrangement. 

If adoption is recommended, the Court will hold a hearing to determine what is in the best interest of your child.  The Court may terminate your parental rights to free your child for adoption. This means that you will no longer be recognized as your child’s legal parent and your child may be adopted.

How long are Family Reunification services offered?

Each family is unique and it is best to obtain this information from your social worker or your attorney to ensure accuracy. Family Reunification services are typically offered for a period of six months to youth under the age of three years old (at the time of removal), as well as members of their sibling group (if they were also placed in care). Family Reunification services are typically offered for twelve months if the youth is three (3) years of age or older (at the time of removal). 

How often will we be attending Court?

There will be a Court hearing at least every six (6) months. The Judge will review how you are progressing with your case plan activities, which were tailored specifically to address any issues of safety. Additionally, the Judge will consider whether the concerns which led to the removal of your child have improved and if it would be safe for your child to return to your care.

How will our Social Worker(s) help us?

The Social Workers will meet with you to review your case plan, refer you to services in community, and assess your progress. They are available by phone to answer questions or concerns you may have and facilitate visits between you and your child, as ordered by the court. They meet with your child on a regular basis to assess for well-being and answer any questions your child may have. They arrange necessary services for your child, including medical care, dental care, or counseling.

Contact Social Services

Child Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)

Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011
  • Mandated Reporter