Advanced Premium Tax Credit

Who can use this service?

Those individuals and families who do not have affordable insurance available to them and are within the income and age limits may use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

The cost of this service varies according to the individual or family's income and household size.

What is the process?

Step 1: Eligibility & Premium Assistance Amounts

Eligibility and premium assistance amounts are determined though Covered CA, once application information has been submitted and verified.

When and where is this service offered?

Open enrollment period is November through January or if there has been a life event such as loss of employer sponsored insurance, marriage, divorce, moved from another state and birth of a child are the more common life events.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Morro Bay Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

600 Quintana Road Morro Bay , CA 93442

Tel: (805) 772-6405

Fax: (805) 772-6409

SLO Social Services- Higuera

Monday - Friday 8-5

3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600

Arroyo Grande Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

Tel: (805) 474-2000

Nipomo Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444

Tel: (805) 931-1800

Atascadero Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6000

Paso Robles Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 237-3110

Frequently Asked Questions

Where else can I get information about Advanced Premium Tax Credits?

You can get information about Advanced Premium Tax Credits on the Covered California website:

You can also get information through Insurance brokers that offer CoveredCA products as well as Certified Enrollers. Local Certified Enrollers can be found on the CoveredCA web site.

Will my premium assistance change during the year?

Yes premium assistance can change during the year, as it is based on your income and household members. So if your income or household changes, you should report the changes timely to CoveredCA so they can adjust your tax credit.

What if I do not report changes?

There is a reconciliation at the time you file your taxes. If your income is higher your premium tax credit is lower, if your premium tax credit has been overpaid the amount overpaid will be deducted from your tax return. In contrast if your premium has been underpaid you will receive the difference of what was paid and what should have been paid, in your tax refund.

Am I required to file taxes to receive an Advanced Premium Tax credit?

Yes, it is a requirement of the program to file taxes to receive an Advanced Premium Tax Credit. If you fail to file, you may not be eligible to Advanced Premium Tax Credits the following year.

Contact Social Services

Child and Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011