County Property Film Permits

What is the process?

Preliminary Information

Thank you for for your interest in the Film Permit procedure for County owned and managed property, including County maintained roads.  The Central Services Department, Real Property Services Division of the County will make every effort to assist and coordinate the film permit process with you.  We require a minimum ten (10) business days’ notice in order to process your application.

At a minimum, the following is needed to process your Film Permit, evaluate your request for approval or denial, and to obtain approval or denial by other County Departments, including additional impact or facility fees as may be required.

Complete Online Application


Email your site map to [email protected] and indicate any roads and marked start and stop locations for filming.

Pay Application Fee

Once both items are completed, call County Real Property Services Division at (805) 781-5563 to pay the $200 non-refundable application fee:

  • Payment may be made by check (payable to County of San Luis Obispo) or credit card (MasterCard, Visa, or Discover)

Applications will not be processed until the non-refundable application fee has been paid in full.

Submit Film Permit Fee

Once the location for filming has been identified and approved, the non-refundable Film Permit fee (separate from the application fee) is due in full, whether filming occurs or not.

  • A $400.00 Film Permit fee may be applied for filming up to seven (7) consecutive days, in addition to the $200.00 non-refundable permit application processing fee.
  • Additional fees may apply for impacts to County Parks or other County Departments or facilities, excess County staff hours, or an extended permit term, on a case by case basis.

Obtain Insurance

Certificate of Insurance naming the County of San Luis Obispo, its officers and employees as additional insured with $2 million limits along with Workers’ Compensation coverage. Certificate of Insurance must be received prior to permit date for permit to be effective. These are the insurance requirements to provide to your insurance agent.

Filming on County Roads or Right-of-Way

RPS coordinates with the County Public Works Department for any filming taking place on County roads or in the County right-of-way. A no-fee encroachment permit issued by Public Works will serve as an exhibit to the Film Permit. If you have any questions regarding Public Works' policies, please call (805) 781-5252.

Please review the County Road Closures and Delays Map, managed by Public Works, before selecting your filming location. 

Please note:

  • Huasna Road (near Arroyo Grande, South County) has Special Noticing Requirements as a courtsey to residents
  • Beach communities and specific Wine Country Roadways (unincorporated areas) will not be permitted on weekends or holidays
  • Filming is not permitted on the following roads:
    • Santa Rosa Creek in the Templeton area
    • Orcutt Road in San Luis Obispo (outside City limits)
    • Avila Beach Drive in Avila Beach

Is there a charge for this service?

There is a $200.00 non-refundable application fee and, in addition, a $400.00 Film Permit fee for up to seven (7) consecutive days of filming. Additional fees may apply on a case-by-case basis for impacts to County Parks or other County departments or facilities, excess County staff hours, or an extended permit term.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Monday - Friday 8-5

1087 Santa Rosa Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5200

Fax: (805) 781-1102


We require ten (10) business days notice in order to process applications, or additional fees may be required.

Film SLO CAL has a list of frequently requested phone numbers listed on their website.

Additionally, RPS has compiled the below list of County contacts:

A County Film Permit is required when filming in an unincorporated area in the County of San Luis Obispo. Please direct questions to Kurry Wannagat, Associate Real Property Agent in Real Property Services, at (805) 781-5563 or [email protected].

Real Property Services does not maintain a list of film locations within the County; however, the SLO County Film Commission can provide location suggestions and maintains a location photo library.

Please contact:

Title 2 - Administration and Personnel of the County Code of San Luis Obispo County, California, sets forth film permit requirements, as follows: 
Yes, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulates the commercial operation of small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS), or drones, in the National Airspace. For further information on filming with drones, please visit the California Film Commission website.