Child Support Order Modification

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Contact Child Support Services

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Monday - Friday 8-5

1200 Monterey Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (866) 901-3212

Fax: (805) 781-5156


Yes. When there is a change in visitation or custody of the child, you can either go to court to ask for a change in the child support order, or you may contact the Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) to ask the court to modify the court order. You may be able to reduce the child support you pay or begin receiving child support from the other parent.

No. The Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) only handles matters related to child support. Custody and visitation issues must be addressed through the courts. Every County has a Family Law Facilitator at the courthouse to provide child support information and assistance to parents. Family Law Facilitators help parents obtain and complete court forms and all services provided are free of charge.

No. A Child Support Order can only be changed by a new order or a stipulation approved by the Court.

Either parent may request a review of the child support case if there is a change in circumstances. Support orders may be changed if there has been a substantial change in circumstances, such as, an increase or decrease in either parent’s earnings, a change in custody, or a change in the amount of time the child spends with each parent. For more information see Child Support Publications.

Unless the parent in jail has other assets, such as a house or a car, or other income, child support will be nearly impossible to collect. A person paying support (PPS) who goes to jail should contact the Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) to modify the child support order. Otherwise, past-due child support may continue to grow and the incarcerated parent will be responsible for paying past-due support plus interest when released.

Yes. You can avoid going to court by signing a legal agreement (stipulation). The person paying support (PPS) and the Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) can agree (stipulate) on the amount of child support if the person receiving support (PRS) is receiving welfare benefits. If neither parent is receiving welfare benefits, then both parents may sign a legal agreement (stipulation) that establishes parentage and makes a formal arrangement to make child support payments.

Stipulations vary with circumstances, but the usual stipulation contains the agreement that the person paying support (PPS) is:

  • the parent of the child
  • willing to pay child support
  • willing to provide health insurance for the child if it is available through the parent’s employer
  • willing to allow the court to enter an order without appearing in court

The amount of the Child Support Order may be decreased if the person paying support (PPS) is also financially responsible for children from another relationship. It is still up to the court to make a change on any Child Support Order.