Housing Support Program (HSP)

What is the process?

Apply for CalWORKs

Applications for CalWORKs can be done at any social service office or online at BenefitsCal.  Applicants will be asked to provide proof of all income and property as well as proof of citizenship and social security number.

Interview for CalWORKs

All applicants are required to have a face-to-face interview prior to approval of their CalWORKs application.  At this appointment, all applicant adults will be fingerprinted. At this interview, an applicant’s case manager will assess what exact verifications they will need to approve the case and will inform the applicant of these necessary verifications in written documentation with a due date.

Notification of CalWORKs

If an applicant provides all needed verifications and meets the eligibility qualifications, they will be approved for a monthly cash aid amount.  If the applicant does not submit required verifications or meet the eligibility qualifications, their case will be denied.  Applicants who have been denied can re-apply at any time.

Applying for CalWORKs Housing Support Program

All CalWORKs applicants and/or recipients can apply for the Housing Support Program during their application for CalWORKs or once approved by requesting to complete an HSP application. Their worker will determine if their housing situation meets HSP’s definition of homelessness and if they meet residency requirements. If they meet these criteria, their HSP program will be referred to the appropriate HSP worker for further assessment and case management.

Who is eligible?

Only eligible CalWORKs families may use this service.

To be eligible to CalWORKs, families must be under the state's income and property guidelines and include a child who has a parent that is either deceased, absent from the home, disabled or unemployed. 

Additionally, only families that qualify as homeless and are 12-month residents of San Luis Obispo County are eligible.

When and where is this service offered?

CalWORKs can be applied for online at BenefitsCal anytime or in person at the Social Services offices near you.  HSP can be requested when the CalWORKs application is made. Offices are open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Closed on county-observed holidays).

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Monday - Friday 8-4; 4-5 by appt only

1086 East Grand Avenue
Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

Tel: (805) 474-2000

Monday - Friday 8-4; 4-5 by appt only

9630 El Camino Real
Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6000

Monday - Friday 8-4; 4-5 by appt only

600 Quintana Road
Morro Bay , CA 93442

Tel: (805) 772-6405

Fax: (805) 772-6409

Monday - Friday 8-4; 4-5 by appt only

681 West Tefft Street Suite 1
Nipomo, CA 93444

Tel: (805) 931-1800

Monday - Friday 8-4; 4-5 by appt only

406 Spring Street
Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 237-3110

Monday - Friday 8-4; 4-5 by appt only

3433 South Higuera
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600


The CalWORKs Housing Support Program provides services to eligible families who are homeless and have at least one family member receiving CalWORKs benefits in San Luis Obispo County.

You must apply and be eligible to CalWORKs. You must have been a resident of San Luis Obispo County for 12 months. You must also meet the definition of "homeless".

The definition of "homeless" means any of the following:

  • Having a night time residence that is a supervised publicly or privately operated shelter designed to provide temporary living accommodations; or
  • Reside in a public or private place that is not designed for sleeping accommodation for human beings; or
  • If you have a judgment for eviction, as ordered by a court.

The Housing Support Program assists with the following:

  • Rental applications and fees, credit check fees, and criminal background checks.
  • Obtaining credit reports and credit repair;
  • Transportation fees for housing search. 
  • Childcare when parent(s) is/are searching for housing or meeting with potential landlords. 
  • Assistance with move-in costs (deposit and utility connection fees). However, each case is unique.

To be eligible for these services and for the best results, participants attend weekly workshops that include:

  • What Makes a Good Tennant?
  • Tips to Make a Landlord Select You
  • Budgeting Basics

You will also have to submit a weekly housing search log and work on goals that you and your case manager select.

Your worker will tell you exactly what documents you will need to provide in order to be approved for CalWORKs. The following list contains examples of the types of documents you may need to provide:
Proof of Age

  • Birth Certificates
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Immigration Card

Proof of Residence

  • Rent Receipt

Proof of Citizenship, Noncitizen Status or Immigrant Status

  • Birth Certificate
  • Alien Registration Card

Social Security Number

  • Social Security Card(s)
  • Proof of Application for Social Security Card (For each person you’re applying for).
  • Proof of Immunizations for Children Under the Age of Six
  • Immunization (Shots) Record 

Proof of Income

  • Pay Stubs
  • Award Letter
  • Papers that show where the money came from
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Award Letter
  • Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB) Approval or Denial Letter

Proof Expenses

  • Utility bills
  • Rent receipts

Proof of Property

  • Bank statements
  • Car registrations
  • Papers that show value of property