The State Controller’s Property Tax Postponement Program allows homeowners who are seniors, are blind, or have a disability to defer current-year property taxes on their principal residence if they meet certain criteria including 40 percent equity in the home and an annual household income of $35,500 or less.
Applications are typically available in September and are funded beginning in October on a first come first served basis. Please call (800) 952-5661 or go to www.sco.ca.gov, the State Controller's Office website for more information.
Who can use this service?
Only qualifying applicants can use this service. To be eligible for PTP, you must:
- Be at least 62 years of age, be blind, or have a disability;
- Own and occupy the home as your primary place of residence;
- Have a total household income of $35,500 or less;
- Have at least 40% equity in the property;
- and meet certain potential other requirements.
Is there a charge for this service?
This service is provided free of charge.
When and where is this service offered?
The Property Tax Postponement service is offered by the State Controller's Office. Applications may be submitted between October 1 and February 10 of each particular tax year.