Disabled Veterans' Exemption
The Disabled Veterans' Exemption is an initial claim filed with the Assessor's Office (or an annual claim if low-income). It is available under certain conditions to 100% Disabled Veterans and the spouses of deceased veterans.
Who can use this service?
This service is available, under certain conditions, to 100% Disabled Veterans and the spouses of deceased veterans.
Is there a charge for this service?
This service is provided free of charge.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
1055 Monterey Street Suite D360 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
Tel: (805) 781-5643
Main Office Fax: (805)-781-5641
Real and Business Property Fax: (805)-788-2042
Public Service/Front Counter Fax: (805)-788-2041
Mapping and Transfers Fax: (805)-781-4034
6565 Capistrano Avenue Atascadero, CA 93422
Tel: (805) 461-6143
Fax: (805) 461-6159
Frequently Asked Questions
The additional filing requirements for the surviving spouse of a deceased disabled veteran are as follows:
- Copy of marriage certificate.
- Copy of veteran's death certificate.
- Copy of letter from the Veterans' Administration verifying service-connected death if veteran was not eligible for the exemption during his or her lifetime.
The additional filing requirements for the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran are as follows:
- Complete the Disabled Veterans' Exemption
- Copy of letter from the Veterans Administration verifying 100% service-connected disability and the date of rating
- Copy of Veterans Discharge Papers (DD214)
- Completed income worksheet, if applying for increased amount due to low income
The qualifying conditions for a disabled veterans exemption are as follows:
- The property must be the veteran's principal place of residence; and
- The veteran must be on title to the property(including ownership in a corporation); and
- The veteran, due to a service-connected condition, is rated 100% disabled, is compensated as 100/% disabled, is blind in both eyes, or has lost the use of two or more limbs.
The qualifying conditions for the surviving spouse of a Disabled Veterans Exemption are as follows:
- The spouse was married to the veteran at the time of the veteran's death; and
- The spouse is unmarried; and
- The property is the spouse's principal place of residence; and
- The spouse is on title to the property; and either
- The veteran died as a result of a service-connected condition or while on active duty; or
- The veteran was eligible for the disabled veteran's exemption during his lifetime