This service provides information about getting married in the Clerk-Recorder's office and scheduling a civil marriage ceremony.
COVID safety protocols
- Mask Policy: As of 2/16/22 the County's current indoor masking requirement will end for fully vaccinated individuals. However, unvaccinated people will still be required to wear a face-covering in all indoor public settings.
- Limit is four (4) people including witnesses.
- Appointments are required prior to arrival (ceremonies will not be performed without an appointment).
- Applicants must bring their own witness to the ceremony.
- You must have a marriage license prior to the ceremony. Please visit our self-service portal to complete the online license or come 30 minutes prior to the appointment to complete the license at a kiosk.
- Please arrive promptly at your scheduled time. Late arrivals may result in cancellation.
Who can use this service?
You must be at least 18 years of age and meet the marriage license requirements to be able to marry.
Is there a charge for this service?
Yes. Please refer to the Clerk-Recorder's Fee Schedule.
When and where is this service offered?
Please call our office at 805-781-5080 to schedule an appointment.
Appointment times are as follows:*
- Thursdays between 2pm - 4pm
- Spanish speaking service offered on Wednesdays between 9 – 11am
*Schedule may be subject to change during elections
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
1055 Monterey Street Suite D120 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
Tel: (805) 781-5080
Fax: (805) 781-1111
Frequently Asked Questions
Typically you may purchase a certified copy of your marriage certificate within 24-48 hours of your marriage license being recorded. Arrangements may be made to purchase a copy the same day on a case by case basis because of extenuating circumstances.
Persons under 18 with written consent from at least one parent (or legal guardian) AND permission from a California Superior Court Judge may marry. Emancipated minors are NOT exempt from this process. Contact the County Superior Court at (805) 781-5243 for further information regarding these requirements.
Due to the limited space in our ceremony room, we limit the number of people to four (the couple and 2 guests). If you find your guest list is larger, you may want to consider using our Deputy Commissioner For a Day Program. This provides more flexibility on the location and number of guests for your ceremony.