Deputy Marriage Commissioner for the Day

What is the process?

Complete the Application Form

Complete the application for a deputy commissioner for a day form.

Submit Application Form and Complete Process

Your completed application to be a deputy commissioner for a day can be processed one of the following ways:

  • In person: Present valid photo identification and appropriate fees. The Clerk will prepare and administer the Oath. The oath will indicate that this person is being sworn solely for the purpose of performing the specific ceremony and cannot be used to perform any other ceremony. Once the oath is completed a copy will be given to the applicant along with instructions on performing the ceremony and completing the marriage license.

  • By mail: Make checks payable to and mail your completed application and appropriate fees to the Clerk-Recorder office. The Clerk will prepare the Oath for a Deputy Commissioner and mail it back to the applicant to appear before a Notary Public to acknowledge the Oath. The applicant will mail the completed Oath back to the Clerk-Recorder before the wedding date. The Clerk will return via mail the Filed Oath, sample vows, instructions for the completion of the marriage license.

Who is eligible?

An applicant must be 18 years of age to use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

Yes. Please refer to the Clerk-Recorder's Fee Schedule.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available anytime throughout the year at the Clerk-Recorder office in San Luis Obispo during our transaction hours except during County observed holidays. You may also submit your application via mail.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM* Wednesday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM* *Last transactions processed 30 minutes prior to closing

1055 Monterey Street Suite D120
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5080

Fax: (805) 781-1111


No. The deputy commissioner for a day is only valid in the State of California.

Deputy commissioners for a day may not be available or accepted in all counties. Please verify with the county where you purchased your marriage license.

No. Family Code, Section 401 contains no requirement that a deputized commissioner of civil marriages be a California resident. Out of state or out of country priests, ministers, or clergy persons may perform marriages in California if they are ordained or invested by a denomination.

The laws of the State of California make it unnecessary for persons performing marriages to file credentials. The county and state are removed from any responsibility for verification of credentials. The State does not maintain a central registry of members of the clergy. Any such concern for verification is totally at the discretion of the parties to the marriage.