Each document presented for recording MUST include or comply with the following general requirements. There may be additional requirements depending on the document.
- The property must be located in San Luis Obispo County. (CC 1169)
- The document must be authorized or required by law to be recorded. (GC 27201)
- Signatures must be original unless the document is a certified copy issued by the appropriate custodian of the public record. (GC 27201b, GC 27279, Evid Code 1530)
- The legibility of a document is important to the quality of the permanent record. Documents must be clearly legible in order to produce a readable photographic record. This pertains to the document text, notary seals, certificates and other attachments, such as legal descriptions. (Gov. 27361.7)
- Include the name of the party requesting the recording and a name and address where the document can be returned. (GC 27361.6)
- The document must be properly acknowledged, unless exempt. California requires an all-purpose acknowledgement. (GC 27201 , 27289 , 27285 , 27287 , 27288 , CC 1189)
- The Assessor's Parcel Number is required on deeds, trust deeds and mortgages. (GC 27297.6)
- When recording documents affecting a change in the ownership of real property, include a completed Preliminary Change of Ownership Report.
- Standard page size is 8-1/2" by 11"; other page sizes incur additional recording fees.
- The first page of the document must reserve a minimum of 2-1/2" down from the top of the page, of which the left 3-1/2" across is used by the party requesting recording to enter name and address to which the document is to be returned following recording. The remainder of this space is reserved for use by the Registrar-Recorder to enter the official recording information. A minimum of 1/2" must be left blank on each side of the document. If the first page of a document does not comply with these legal requirements, attach a Face page for a recorded document to the front of the document which meets the spacing criteria and which includes the title or titles of the document.
- Include the recording fees, see FAQs "How do I calculate recording fees?".
- Payment can be made by cash, personal check, cashier's check, money order, and credit or debit cards. Make checks payable to: San Luis Obispo (or SLO) Clerk-Recorder
- Mail to: 1055 Monterey St. D120, San Luis Obispo CA. 93408
If you have any questions regarding fees, timelines or the general recording process, you may call (805) 781-5080 and one of our staff can assist you.
IMPORTANT: Our staff cannot assist you in determining what form to complete or how to complete the form.