Post Employment Information

Benefits Termination and COBRA

Benefits will terminate at the end of the month following your last work day, i.e., last work day is Jan. 1, benefits end Feb. 28. Contact Auditor-Payroll with any questions.

You have 60 days from your last day worked to submit receipts for qualifying expenses incurred prior to your separation date.

You will receive a COBRA letter once separated and should contact Benefits Coordination Company (BCC) at 1-800-685-6100 regarding continuing insurance coverage, or flexible spending accounts (FSA).

For Retirees

Deferred Compensation

Do you have Deferred comp?  You have the option of rolling your leave balances to deferred comp, which gives you a tax benefit. To defer any vacation or sick leave balances to a Nationwide Deferred Comp account you will need to contact Payroll, at [email protected] or 805-781-5831, the month before your retirement date. Complete the attached Nationwide Deferred Compensation Plan Accrual Deferral form to elect sick and vacation payout options and contact Payroll for additional information. 

Post Employment Health Plan 

PEHP - The Post Employment Health Plan (PEHP) is designed to help employees defray the cost of health care after separation from County service.
There are two different types of PEHP accounts offered by the County and your account type is determined by your bargaining unit. When you retire or separate from County service, you can submit claims for qualified medical expenses to be reimbursed by the funds in your PEHP account.

Bargaining Units 01 - Public Services, 13 - Clerical, 05 - Supervisory and 02 Trades & Crafts

  •  County contributions of $50 per month for each eligible employee are placed in the employee's PEHP Universal Reimbursement Account with Nationwide Retirement Solutions
  •  Contributions are tax-free
  •  All initial contributions default into the most conservative investment option within a variable annuity
  •  Employees may choose more aggressive funds by contacting Nationwide Retirement Solutions to complete an Employee Allocation Form  After separation of service, the PEHP account can be used to pay qualified medical expenses which are not covered by health insurance including expenditures such as glasses, prescription drugs, deductibles and co-pays.


Bargaining Units 04 - SLOGAU, 06 - DA Investigators, 07 - Management, 08 - General Management, 09 - Appointed Department Heads, 10 - Elected Officials, 11 - Confidential, 12 - DCCA, 15 and 16, - Sheriff's Managers and 17 – Supervisors, 27 and 28 – Sworn Deputy Sheriff’s Association

  • Upon termination, the first portion of any sick leave payoff as currently provided for in MOU or by County Ordinance Code §2.44.060(i)(l) - will be contributed directly to the individual’s PEHP Insurance Premium Reimbursement Account
  • The Insurance Premium Reimbursement Account works just like its name suggests -- it reimburses qualified health insurance premiums paid by you.  This includes any qualified health insurance premiums, dental and vision insurance premiums, Medicare Part B and Medicare supplements and qualified Long-Term Care premiums


Do you have a different VEBA plan? Employees can get cash out per bargaining unit anything over that limit up to a cap they get cash value for.  They need to do the form to gain access to that money.  

Pension Trust Information

Retirees need to contact Pension Trust and set a pre-retirement meeting 6 months in advance of retirement,

If you are not a retiree but you are separating from County service, Pension trust will contact you regarding your pension options. If the post employment contact information you provided changes please contact Pension Trust at (805) 781-5465, to provide your updated contact information.  

Do you need to file a Form 700 - Leaving Office Statement?

Please contact your department NetFile (Form 700) Coordinator to initiate the process for your Leaving Office Statement.

Public officials (designated board and commission members, employees, and consultants) must file Statement of Economic Interests (Form 700) and disclose their interests on or before the statutory deadline, when leaving office or employment. 


Have you contributed to deferred comp?

When you leave your job with the County the funds you contribute to your deferred comp account are yours. You may be able to roll your assets into another eligible retirement plan, or IRA.

Thank You for your County Service!

We wish you the best in your next endeavor!