Cayucos Vets Hall Restoration
This project will stabilize, rehabilitate and restore the Cayucos Veterans Memorial Building (also known as the historic Cass Warehouse) at Cayucos State Beach and create a safe and usable facility for community activities. As a historic building that meets the criteria required for listing in the California Register of Historical Resources,the design for the rehabilitation will follow the Secretary of the Interior Standards for the restoration of historic buildings.
Original Cayucos Vets Hall
Current Cayucos Vets Hall
Cayucos Vets Hall receives Prop 68 grant award
October 10, 2019
The County of San Luis Obispo has been awarded $1.9 million for the rehabilitation of the historic Cass Warehouse, known as the Cayucos Veterans Memorial Hall, by the California Natural Resources Agency. The project is one of twenty-one projects statewide to receive funding under the Agency’s Cultural, Community and Natural Resources grant program funded by Proposition 68. The purpose of the grant program is to protect, restore, and enhance California’s cultural, community and natural resources.
May 6, 2020 Project Update
Recent Project Milestones
- February 26, 2020 – The County learned that their second grant application, for the Statewide Park
Development and Community Revitalization Prop 68 grant program, was not successful.
- April 1, 2020 – Received plan check review comments from the Office of the State Fire
- April 23, 2020 – Received accessibility review plan check comments from the State Parks
- April 27, 2020 – Determined the State is the Authority Having Jurisdiction for the project and
will issue approvals/permit for construction.
- Respond to plan check comments and resubmit the construction documents for final
- The County is researching project phasing options and other Prop 68 grant
opportunities that will be upcoming in 2020 as the current CCNR grant award for $1.9
million is insufficient to complete the project.
Other Potential Project Funding Sources
- County's 5-Year CIP program
- Prop 68- CA Parks, Environment & Water Bond:
- State and Local Parks
- Flood Protection
- Natural Resource Conservation
- USDA Rural Development Loan
- Local Support and Other Grant Opportunities
Project Schedule - Updated Below
Public Outreach Meeting - February 28, 2018
A Public Outreach Meeting including an outline of the situation, historical analysis, environmental analysis, proposed layouts, and public comments took place on February 28th. Click here to view the presentation.
Project Tasks and Estimated Completions
County Planning Approval
County Planning Approval of Minor Use Permit (Complete)
Completion Date: February 2019
Coastal Commission Approval
Coastal Commission Approval for items under their jurisdiction (Complete)
Construction Documents / Permitting
Estimated Completion: March 2020
Pending Successful Project Funding
State Approvals/Bidding Process
Estimated Completion: July 2020
Estimated Completion: 2022
Cayucos Vets Hall Notice of Closure
Cayucos Vets Hall Proposed Floor Plan
Cayucos Vets Hall Proposed Exterior
Cayucos Vets Hall Architectural Resource Evaluation Report
Advisory Meeting Information Sheets
Contact Public Works via web form, email, or call us at (805) 781-5252.