Adult Services

The Department of Social Services helps elders or dependent adults remain safely in their homes, through our three Adult Services programs:  Adult Protective Services, In-Home Supportive Services and Public Authority.


Adult Protective Services Program (APS)

Adult Protective Services Program provides emergency intervention to dependent adults and seniors. We investigate allegations of abuse, intervene when necessary, and provide community resources and education.

APS Services are voluntary: an elder or dependent adult may refuse or withdraw consent to services at any time to the preventative and remedial services offered by APS.

APS is not intended to interfere with the lifestyle choices of elders and dependent adults, nor is the intent to protect those individuals from all consequences of such choices.

More information about Dependent Adult and Elder Abuse.

Elder & Dependent Abuse Hurts—Don’t Ignore it—Call!

Mandated Reporter

Mandated Reporter Training (video)

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program

The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program helps pay for services provided to aged, blind, or disabled individuals who are limited in their ability to care for themselves and cannot live at home safely without in-home care. IHSS is considered an alternative to out-of-home care, such as nursing homes or board and care facilities.
Some services that can be authorized through IHSS include: housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services), accompaniment to medical appointments, and protective supervision for the mentally impaired.

State informational video: IHSS Introduction and Services

County of San Luis Obispo:  Residents: Apply for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

Non Residents: County IHSS Office Contact Information


Public Authority - In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

The main goal of IHSS Public Authority is to connect disabled adults/children and elderly individuals approved for IHSS Services with in-home caregivers so they can remain safely in their own homes. Public Authority is responsible for providing enrollment services for new caregivers, managing background screenings with the Department of Justice and providing registry services to assist IHSS recipients in finding caregivers.

Become a Provider

Provider Enrollment Information

Apply for the Caregiver Registry!

Contact Social Services

Child Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)

Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011
  • Mandated Reporter