Adult Protective Services Program (APS)

Who can use this service?

Anyone can make a confidential report if they are concerned or suspect that an elderly person or adult with a disability who lives in San Luis Obispo County is being abused.

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

What is the process?

Step 1: Contact Adult Services

If you are reporting a life-threatening emergency, please call 9-1-1. 

Contact Adult Services 24 hours a day:

Monday – Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (805) 781-1790 

OR After business hours: (844) 729-8011

Step 2: Complete SOC 341 Form

  • Call APS and they will complete the form over the phone with you
  • Or print & complete report here:  SOC 341 Suspected Dependent Adult or Elder Abuse

Fax the SOC 341 to: 805-788-2834 or drop them off at your nearest Social Services Office.

Step 3: What happens next?

The 24-hour hotline is staffed by social workers who respond to calls and ask a series of questions to determine if an emergency response is required.  If necessary, an Emergency Response Worker will be dispatched to make a home visit to investigate the report and determine what services, or resources, if any, are needed.

When and where is this service offered?

(805) 781-1790 or toll free (844) 729-8011.

Adult Services is available by phone 24 hours a day. 

Regular business hours are Monday – Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.  Calls received after 5:00 pm go to our afterhours service and a Social Worker will follow up with the caller.  


Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Morro Bay Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

600 Quintana Road Morro Bay , CA 93442

Tel: (805) 772-6405

Fax: (805) 772-6409

SLO Social Services- Higuera

Monday - Friday 8-5

3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600

Arroyo Grande Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

Tel: (805) 474-2000

Nipomo Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444

Tel: (805) 931-1800

Atascadero Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6000

Paso Robles Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 237-3110

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Elder or Dependent Adult Abuse?

Abuse of an elder or dependent adult means: Physical Abuse, Neglect, Financial Abuse, Abandonment, Isolation, Abduction or other treatment resulting in physical harm or mental suffering.

Abuse can also be the deprivation by a care provider of services necessary to avoid physical harm or mental suffering.

Who is an Elder and Dependent Adult?

Elder: Anyone who is 65 years of age, or over

Dependent Adult: Anyone between the ages of 18 and 64 with physical or mental disability that makes it difficult to handle physical or financial tasks or activities of daily living.

How do I make a report of suspected elder/dependent adult abuse?

1. If you are reporting a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1.

    Contact Adult Services: (805) 781-1790 or call (844) 729-8011

2. Complete: SOC 341 for Suspected Dependent Adult or Elder Abuse
3. Fax completed report to (805) 788-2834 or drop off at your nearest Social Services office.  

Will information about person making the abuse report be disclosed?

Information submitted on the APS Report shall be confidential except to very few Agencies listed on page 3 of the SOC 341, under the heading "IDENTITY OF THE REPORTER".

Are community members required to take recommendations from APS?

Adult Protection Services is voluntary. The Elder/Dependent Adult has the right to refuse services.

Will a call be made to the person who submitted the report to disclose the outcome of the APS Report?

No. Confidentiality prevents a follow-up call to the reporter of the abuse. 

Don’t feel discouraged, if you see another incident or know of some other abuse happening, please file another report. 

What is our Adult Protective Service Goal?

APS strives to have all elders and dependent adults live their lives free from the threat or reality of abuse.

Contact Social Services

Child and Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011