Restaurant Meals Program (RMP) for CalFresh Participants

Who can use this service?

CalFresh Eligible Participants who are elderly (age 60 years and older), disabled or homeless may take part in the San Luis Obispo Restaurant Meals Program.      

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is offered in participating San Luis Obispo County restaurants to CalFresh eligible individuals who are elderly, disabled or homeless who have chosen to participate in the Restaurant Meals Program.
For a list of participating restaurants in San Luis Obispo County, click the link below.
Restaurant Meals Program (RMP) Participating Restaurants
Look for Restaurants displaying this sign.  
Restaurant Meals Program Logo


Frequently Asked Questions

After purchasing a meal, do I get a sales receipt showing my CalFresh benefit balance?

Yes, your sales receipt will show the cost of your meal and your CalFresh benefit balance.

Can I use my CalFresh benefits to purchase alcohol?

No, you cannot use your CalFresh benefits to purchase alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, or any non-food items.

Do I have to apply for the Restaurant Meals Program?

No, an application is not required. However, you must be eligible for the CalFresh Program and be considered elderly, disabled or homeless. 

How can I find out if I am eligible for the Restaurant Meals Program?

If you are elderly (age 60 or over), disabled, or homeless, ask your worker.  Your worker can code your Golden State Advantage (EBT) card so that it may be accepted as payment for meals at participating restaurants.

How do I find out if a restaurant is participating in the program?

A restaurant that is participating in the program will have the RMP logo is displayed on its door or window.

To find this information:


If my EBT CalFresh benefit balance is not enough to purchase a meal, can I use my EBT cash benefit to cover the difference for payment?

Yes, if your EBT card has cash benefits, you can use the cash benefits to purchase meals but you must inform the cashier that you will use a mixed transaction (EBT CalFresh and EBT cash combined). 

It is a wise idea to check your last receipt or call EBT Customer Service (1 (800) 328-9677 or TTY at 1 (800) 735-2929) to find out the current balance in your EBT CalFresh account before you order a meal. If you use the My Benefits CalWIN Application, you will be able to check your benefits balance using the application.

Is there a list of participating restaurants in San Luis Obispo County

Yes, The Department of Social Services maintains a list of the Restaurant Meals Program (RMP) Participating Restaurants.

What is the Restaurant Meals Program?

The Restaurant Meals Program (RMP) allows elderly, disabled and homeless CalFresh recipients the option to use their CalFresh benefits to purchase prepared meals at participating restaurants by using their Golden State Advantage (EBT) card.

Will I be charged tax or tip if I purchase a meal?

No, the participating restaurants are not allowed to charge tax or tip under the Restaurant Meals Program.

Will I receive more benefits when I participate in the Restaurant Meals Program?

No, participating in the Restaurant Meals Program will not change your benefit amount.

Contact Social Services

Child Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)

Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011
  • Mandated Reporter