Expanded Subsidized Employment Services

What is the process?

Application: Applying for CalWORKs

Applications for CalWORKs can be done at any social service office or online at www.mybenefitscalwin.org.  Applicants will be asked to provide proof of all income and property as well as proof of citizenship and social security number.

Interview: Interviewing for CalWORKs

All applicants are required to have a face-to-face interview prior to approval of their CalWORKs application.  At this appointment, all applicant adults will be fingerprinted. At this interview, an applicant’s case manager will assess what exact verifications they will need to approve the case and will inform the applicant of these necessary verifications in written documentation with a due date.

Notification: Notification of CalWORKs

If an applicant provides all needed verifications and meets the eligibility qualifications, they will be approved for a monthly cash aid amount.  If the applicant does not submit required verifications or meet the eligibility qualifications, their case will be denied.  Applicants who have been denied can re-apply at any time.

WTW Orientation: WTW Orientation

Once approved for CalWORKs, all aided adults will participate in a Welfare-to-Work Orientation to learn about the program, the process and their rights and responsibilities while receiving CalWORKs cash aid.

WTW Appraisal: WTW Appraisal

At WTW Appraisal, a participant will meet with their case manager to review their education, employment history, job skills, potential employment barriers and support they may need to go to work or training like childcare, transportation or counseling or other support services.  If the participant has a crisis or situation that will keep them from being able to participate fully in the WTW Program, they will be evaluated for an exemption or eligibility to the Family Stabilization Program.

WTW Assessment: WTW Assessment

Prior to choosing what types of activities they’d like to do, a participant and their case manager will work together to do some education and career testing and review what types of jobs are available in the local labor market. Together they will determine what steps will be need to attain the participant’s goals. 

WTW Plan: WTW Plan

A WTW Plan is established based on the needs and goals of the participant that will outline what activities they will take part in to reach their employment goal.  The WTW Plan will outline the activities that are expected and how the county will help support these activities. 

ESE Enrollment: Enrollment in ESE

As part of a participant’s WTW Plan, they may choose to participate in a 16-week paid subsidized employment position that the county contracts out.  If they are interested in this activity, their case manager will refer them for job placement during their WTW Assessment period.

This service is offered only to individuals that are approved for CalWORKS services and are eligible to participate in Welfare to Work.

This service is provided free of charge.

CalWORKs can be applied for online at mybenefitscalwin.org anytime or in person at the Social Services offices near you. Offices are open Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Closed on county-observed holidays).

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Contact Social Services

Child Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)

Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011
  • Mandated Reporter