Test to Treat provides prompt treatment for people age 65 and older and those with health conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19. If you are at high risk and experience symptoms, don't delay: this treatment must be started within five days of first symptoms.
Hours vary by location. It is a good idea to call ahead to confirm hours and ask any specific questions about cost.
At community testing sites in Grover Beach, Paso Robles, and San Luis Obispo, all services are provided free of charge for the patient. Pharmacy and urgent care sites generally charge a fee for testing and medical consultation, and most will bill insurance for this cost.
When seeking Test to Treat services at any site, please bring a list of any medications you currently take.
Report a positive at-home COVID test
Test positive from an at-home (rapid) COVID test? Report your result using the button below.
Report a positive at-home test
Anyone with a U.S. residential address can request COVID-19 tests (eight per household) to be delivered directly through this federal program.
Free community testing sites
Feeling sick or think you may have been exposed? Make an appointment at one of our no-cost community testing sites or talk to your healthcare provider to get tested. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus.
Hours & Locations
Free testing is available Monday - Friday, 7 am - 7 pm. (Grover Beach site is closed on Fridays.)
Sites are closed daily from 11 am - 12 pm and 4 pm - 5 pm.
Note: Sites will be closed on Memorial Day (Monday, May 30).
Testing site details:
- Appointments are strongly encouraged. Walk-ins will be accepted as availability allows but are not guaranteed. Sites generally have more availability in the mornings. Anyone who walks in will need a patient ID/account, so please register in advance to receive one if you plan to walk in.
- Sites offer Test to Treat services for those age 65 and older and those with health conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19. To access these services, make a regular testing appointment.
- If you are interested in Test to Treat services, please bring a list of medications you are currently taking.
- Sites offer antigen testing (results within 2 hours, typically 30 minutes) in addition to PCR. More information.
- Sites no longer provide the option to schedule appointments for PCR tests. Appointments are available for antigen tests, and PCR tests remain available for those who need them, such as for work, school, surgery or travel. PCR testing is especially important for those who work in congregate care settings. Anyone who needs a PCR test may schedule an appointment for an antigen test and, when they arrive on site, let the staff know they need a PCR test. Walk-ins are also accepted as capacity allows.
Make a testing appointment
(If you need assistance registering, please call (888) 634-1123.)
When you Register:
- Have your insurance card available, if you have insurance.
- Write down your patient ID number, you will need this to select an appointment time. (Walk-ups will also need a patient ID in advance.)
- You will need to provide a cell phone number to get a verification code.
COVID testing is free at community testing sites. You will not be charged a copay but, if you have insurance, it will be charged. If you don't have insurance, you won't be charged at all.
For inquiries about pending test results, please visit LHI's online portal or call (888) 634-1123.
Other Testing Locations
COVID-19 testing is also available from other providers. These facilities may charge co-pays or fees, so be sure to call ahead to understand the costs for testing. Need a free option? Visit one of our community testing sites above.
- The San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport (SBP) (for travelers and non-travelers) | 877-219-8378
Cottage Urgent Care - San Luis Obispo - Marigold Center | 3970 Broad, Suite 2, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 | 805-762-4996 | Rapid Test for established & non-established patients (only if symptomatic)
CVS Nipomo | 610 West Tefft Street, Nipomo, CA 93444
Dignity Health Urgent Care Atascadero | 5920 W. Mall, Atascadero, CA 93422 | 805-461-2131 | PCR Test for established & non-established patients (only if symptomatic)
Dignity Health Urgent Care Central Coast | 2271 D Depot St, Santa Maria, CA 93455 | 805-922-0561 | PCR Test for established & non-established patients (only if symptomatic)
Dignity Health Urgent Care Central Orcutt | 1102 E Clark Ave Ste 120A Santa Maria, CA 93455 | 805-332-8185 | PCR Test for established & non-established patients (only if symptomatic or scheduled for surgery)
Dignity Health Urgent Care Pismo Beach | 877 N Oak Park Blvd, Pismo Beach, CA 93449 | 805-474-8450 , Established & non-established patients, PCR Test only if symptomatic
Family & Industrial Medical Center | 47 Santa Rosa St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 | 805-542-9596 | Established & non-established patients; PCR (only if symptomatic) ; rapid tests for anyone
Med Post Urgent Care of Atascadero | 7330 El Camino Real, Atascadero | 805-703-2501 | PCR Test for any established & non-established patients
Med Stop Urgent Care | 283 Madonna Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 | 805-549-8880 | PCR and rapid tests for anyone
MedPost Urgent Care of Paso Robles | 500 1st St, Paso Robles | 805-226-4222 | PCR Test for any established & non-established patients
Medworks Medical Centers | 350 Posada Ln, Templeton, CA 93465 | 805-434-3699 | PCR for everyone
Primary Care Partners SLO | 84 Santa Rosa St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 | 805-591-4727 | PCR tests for established patients
Rite Aid Atascadero | Rite Aid 7025 El Camino Real, Atascadero, CA 93422
The Lapidus Clinic, Yelena Lapidus | 6685 Bay Laurel Pl A, Avila Beach, CA 93424 | 805-540-3071 | PCR for everyone
Urgent Care of Atascadero (Central Coast Urgent Care) | 9700 El Camino Real #100, Atascadero, CA 93422 | 805-466-1330 | PCR and rapid tests for anyone
Urgent Care of Morro Bay | 783 Quintana Rd, Morro Bay, CA 93442 | 805-771-0108 | PCR and rapid tests for anyone
Urgent Care of Pismo Beach | 2 James Way Suite 214, Pismo Beach, CA 93449 | 805-295-6594 | PCR and rapid tests for anyone
See other testing sites near you
What are the differences between COVID tests?
PCR tests indicate whether a person is currently infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. These tests are both more sensitive (fewer false negatives) and more specific (fewer false positives) than antigen tests. Results are generally available in less than two days.
Rapid Antigen Tests
Rapid antigen tests (e.g., Binax NOW, BD Veritor, Sofia SARS Antigen FIA) generally offer results within 15-30 minutes. Antigen tests have varying levels of sensitivity but are generally lower than the sensitivity of PCR and other molecular tests. (In other words, they may have more false negatives or may not detect infection as early as a PCR test.) The specificity of antigen tests is very close to the specificity of PCR and other molecular tests.
Antibody testing, also referred to as serologic testing, is not useful for the diagnosis of COVID-19. Antibody testing can be helpful to determine if a person’s immune system has mounted a response to the vaccines for COVID-19 or to the virus that causes COVID-19.