In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program

What is the process?

Complete an IHSS Application or Referral

County of San Luis Obispo Residents can start an application by calling the Atascadero Office at (805) 461-6110, Arroyo Grande Office at (805) 474-2103, or by completing the Online Application Form.

Complete Health Care Certification

Complete a Health Care Certification (SOC 873) and submit it to the Social Services Department.  A completed Health Care Certification must be received before the County is able to authorize services.

County Social Worker Interviews

A County Social Worker will interview an applicant in their home to determine eligibility and need for IHSS. Based on ability to safely perform certain tasks for themselves, the Social Worker assesses the types of services needed and number of hours authorized for each service. The assessment includes information from applicant and, if appropriate, their family, friends, physician or other licensed health care professional.

Applicant Notified

An applicant is notified if IHSS has been approved or denied. If an applicant is denied, the applicant is notified of reason for denial. If an applicant is approved, the applicant is notified of services and number of hours that are authorized per month for those services. 

Applicant Approved

If an applicant is approved for IHSS, the Recipient must hire a Provider (caregiver) to perform the authorized services. The Recipient is considered the Provider's employer, and therefore it is the Recipient's responsibility to hire, train, supervise, and fire the individual Provider.

Finding a Provider

If a Recipient does not have a Provider, they may request a referral from the IHSS Public Authority Caregiver Registry. Contact your IHSS Social Worker to request a referral.

Who can use this service?

To be eligible for IHSS Services, a person must meet the following conditions:
•        Be disabled, blind, or age 65 or older (children potentially eligible)
•        Unable to live safely in their own home without assistance
•        Meet financial need requirement
What is the Eligibility Criteria for all IHSS Applicants and Recipients?
•        Must have full-scope Medi-Cal Eligibility.
•        Must submit a completed Health Care Certification form.
•        Must physically reside in the United States.  
•        Must also be a California resident.
•        Must live at home (acute care hospital, long-term care facilities, and licensed
         community care facilities are not considered "own home").  
Who can make a referral?  Anyone who recognizes a person is in need of in-home assistance may make a referral to IHSS.  

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

When and where is this service offered?

To apply, call the office nearest you in the County of San Luis Obispo Monday-Friday, between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Atascadero: (805) 461-6110
Arroyo Grande: (805) 474-2103

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Social Services

Child Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)

Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011
  • Mandated Reporter