CalFresh Food Assistance

Who can use this service?

Citizens of the United States or noncitizens who are legally residing in the U.S. are eligible to apply for CalFresh. A CalFresh Household may be a family, an individual, or anyone that purchases food and prepares meals together. Generally, you must meet certain residency and income requirements to qualify for the program.
Benefits are based on household size and income.  Pre-screen to see if you may be eligible or apply at MyBenefits CalWIN.  There are many myths about CalFresh eligibility. Please don't assume that you can't qualify: talk to us, or check out these Myths & Facts About CalFresh.

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

What is the process?

Step 1: Apply for CalFresh

You can apply for CalFresh in person Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at any County of San Luis Obispo Social Services office.

You can also apply online at My Benefits CalWIN.

You may also download an application, complete and return mail, FAX or bring the application in to the local County Social Services office. 

When and where is this service offered?

It is easy to apply.  Apply in person Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at any County of San Luis Obispo office, online at My Benefits CalWIN or you can download an application, fill it out and either mail, FAX or bring it into your local county office.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Morro Bay Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

600 Quintana Road Morro Bay , CA 93442

Tel: (805) 772-6405

Fax: (805) 772-6409

SLO Social Services- Higuera

Monday - Friday 8-5

3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-1600

Arroyo Grande Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420

Tel: (805) 474-2000

Nipomo Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444

Tel: (805) 931-1800

Atascadero Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6000

Paso Robles Social Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 237-3110

Frequently Asked Questions

Are medical expenses a deduction for seniors and disabled people?

Yes, there are special rules and deductions for seniors (60 years or older) and disabled people.

Can I get CalFresh if I am in college?

You may be able to qualify for CalFresh if you are in college. See the CalFresh Student Flyer for details. Even if you do not qualify, others in your household may.

CalFresh Student Flyer (Spanish)

Can I get CalFresh if I am not working?

Yes. However, if you're able to work, you may be required to register for job training.

Can I get CalFresh just for myself if I live with my family or with others?

People who live together and purchase food and prepare meals together are grouped as a "household". Husbands and wives and their children under age 22 must be one household.

Can only families with children receive CalFresh?

CalFresh is for eligible individuals & families including older adults. 

See Myths & Facts about Calfresh for Older Adults

How long will it take to process my application?

All CalFresh applications must be processed as soon as possible but no later than thirty (30) calendar days following the date the application was filed. 

What is CalFresh Expedited Service?

CalFresh Expedited Service means you can get your CalFresh in three (3) days if you are eligible by meeting special expedited criteria.  Ask your worker if you are eligible for expedited services.

Contact Social Services

Child and Adult Hotline Information:

  • If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
  • To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)
  • To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011