The Public Works Development Services counter is now closed to the public, but we are continuing services. To protect the health of customers and employees, our staff will work remotely to process your permits and conduct map review. Map reviews are being performed remotely on PDF submittals that are submitted via email to either the County Surveyor or the Deputy County Surveyor. This new process is explained in the document in this link . A Record of Survey review and recording fee calculator is located in this link.
County Surveyor - Edward M. Reading
The County Surveyor’s Office is responsible for the review of subdivision maps, Records of Survey, and Corner Records for the County of San Luis Obispo. The County Surveyor’s Office is also charged with maintaining accurate land survey records for the County of San Luis Obispo.
What we do:
- Review subdivision maps and documents for conformance with state and County law.
- Review Records of Survey and Corner Records for conformance with state and County law.
- Maintain records and indexes of survey related documents as required by state law.
- Provide survey related information to the public.
- Prepare, review and approve various district boundaries for the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO).
- Provide survey monument preservation research for county capital improvement projects.
- Provide Right-of-Way information for the Department of Public Works.
- Provide land surveying services to other County departments.
What we don't do:
- Surveys for private property owners
- Recommend private Surveyors
- Private property easement research
Services we offer:
Links to other useful sites:
San Luis Obispo County Surveyors
- William Hutton 1850-1852
- William Borland 1853-1854
- David P. Mallagh 1855-1857
- L. Abby 1858
- B. M. Henry 1859-1862
- L. Dant 1863-1866
- A. L. Cervantes 1867-1868
- Robert R. Harris 1869-1874
- George Lakui 1876
- J. H. Doyle 1877
- Thomas Bingham 1877-1878
- George Lakui 1878
- Exra Carpenter 1879-1881
- Robert R. Harris 1882-1883
- Exra Carpenter 1884-1885
- George Storey 1886-1891
- George Spurrier 1892-1893
- Victor H. Woods 1894-1901
- Austin F. Parsons 1902-1922
- William J. Black 1922-1925
- John P. Black 1926-1932
- Kenneth Beck 1933-1961
- C. Richard Gallagher 1961-1967
- George Protopapas 1967-1991
- Clint Milne 1991-1995
- Tim Nanson 1995-2001
- Glen Priddy 2001-2009
- Dan Manion 2009-2010
- Doug Rion 2010-2016
- Edward M. Reading 2016-
For more information please contact the County Surveyor:
E-mail Address: [email protected]
Contact Public Works via web form, email, or call us at (805) 781-5252.