California Children's Services
What is this service?
California Children's Services (CCS) is a statewide program that arranges, directs, and pays for medical care, equipment, and rehabilitation for children and young adults less than 21 years of age who have eligible medical conditions and whose families are unable to pay for all or part of their care. The Public Health Department connects eligible children with doctors, therapists and other trained specialists who know how to care for their special health needs.
Who can use this service?
This service is open to any individual who:
- has a medically eligible condition and
- is under 21 years old
- lives in San Luis Obispo County
- and has one of the following:
- family income of $40,000 or less
- out-of-pocket medical expenses expected to be more than 20 percent of family's adjusted gross income
- a need for an evaluation to find out if there is a health problem covered by CCS
- was adopted with a known health problem that is covered by CCS
- a need for the Medical Therapy Program
- Medi-Cal or CenCal, with full benefits
For more information, visit the State’s website.
Is there a charge for this service?
Medical services are provided at no-cost to eligible individuals, but there may be an enrollment or assessment fee.
What is the process?
When and where is this service offered?
Please call (805) 781-5527 or (800) 660-3313 (se habla español) for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
Monday - Friday 8-5 by appointment only
2180 Johnson Avenue San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Frequently Asked Questions
What services are provided?
What conditions are eligible?
For a full list of covered conditions please visit the Overview of CCS Medical Eligibility website.
Do you have to be eligible for Medi-Cal or CenCal to utilize these services?
No. If you have a child with special medical needs, even if you think you make too much money to qualify, your child may still be eligible for CCS services.
What if I move to another county, or transfer into SLO County?
CCS offices are located in every county in California; if you move within the state, your child's case can simply be transferred to the new location.