What is this service?
Every year, the County of San Luis Obispo Public Health Department coordinates and conducts exercises to test the medical and health system’s ability to respond to disasters.
Statewide Medical and Health Exercise (SWMHE)
The Statewide Medical and Health Exercise takes place on the 3rd Thursday in November every year. This exercise is designed to test participating agencies’ ability to respond to an emergency specifically:
- Test and validate policies, plans, procedures, training, equipment, and agreements
- Clarify and train personnel in roles and responsibilities in emergency response and recovery
- Improve interagency coordination
- Identify gaps in resources and response plans
- Strengthen relationships among all participating agencies
- Meet various requirements from regulatory and accreditation agencies
Click here to view and download the 2019 Statewide Medical and Health Exercise Documents
Click here to go to the California Statewide & Health Exercise Website
Coalition Surge Test (CST)
The Coalition Surge Test is designed to help healthcare coalitions identify gaps in their surge planning through a no-notice exercise. The CST tests the coalition’s ability to evacuate and transfer at least 20 percent of the coalition’s staffed bed capacity.
- A low – to – no notice exercise. Exercise participants will receive a 2-week notice.
- Challenging by design.
- Intended to improve health care system readiness and response.
- Designed to test the overall health care system response