What is this service?
There is no time like the present to quit using tobacco products. Those who smoke or vape e-cigarettes, may be especially at risk of developing serious complications due to the coronavirus which causes COVID-19. COVID-19 is known to attack the lungs and could be a particularly serious threat to tobacco users.
Quitting tobacco improves your health and reduces your risk of heart disease, cancer, lung disease, and many other illnesses. Whether you smoke cigarettes, cigars, pipes, use chewing tobacco, or e-cigarettes (vapes), free supportive services can help you quit.
If you have tried to quit before and have not been successful, don't give up! Tobacco dependence is a chronic disease, with most smokers making multiple quit attempts before succeeding, and many of these smokers requiring repeated intervention.
Who can use this service?
Anyone can use this service.
Is there a charge for this service?
This service is provided free of charge.
When and where is this service offered?
California Smokers’ Helpline: The California Smokers’ Helpline provides free services to help you quit smoking, vaping, or chew. Helpline counseling is easy, convenient, and has been proven to double smokers’ chances of quitting for good. Services are available in multiple languages.
- Telephone Counseling: Free telephone counseling is available through the California Smokers' Helpline. Free, personal, confidential advice from Quit Coaches, in multiple languages.
- English: 1-800-NO-BUTTS (1-800-662-8887)
- Spanish: 1-800-NO-FUME (1-800-456-6386)
- Vape Users: 1-844-8-NO-VAPE (1-844-866-8273)
- Tobacco Chewers: 1-800-844-CHEW (1-800-844-2439)
- Text Messaging: Receive texts that are tailored to help at critical points along the way. You can also send questions at any time and a counselor will respond within one business day.
- English: Text "Quit Smoking" to 66819 or Text "Quit Vaping" to 66819 English Text Registration Form: Quit Smoking Quit Vaping
- Spanish: Texto "dejar de fumea" al 66819 or Texto "no vapear" al 66819
- No Butts Mobile App: Want help to quit smoking while you’re on the go? The No Butts mobile app offers quick and tailored help, right from the palm of your hand.The app has helpful features like logging your smoking triggers, reminders to keep you motivated, and pointers on all kinds of quit smoking topics. Available for iPhones and Androids.
Quit Tobacco Classes: Local quit tobacco classes have temporarily been paused. Please check back in Spring 2021, for an update on classes resuming.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT): You may qualify for NRT through your insurance. In most cases, Medi-Cal members can also get quitting aids (such as patches, lozenges, or gum) from their pharmacy free of charge, with a prescription from their doctor.
Quit Vaping Texting Program: This program is tailored by age group to give teens and young adults appropriate recommendations about quitting. Youth and young adults can access the new e-cigarette quit program by texting "DITCHJUUL" to 88709. Parents and other adults looking to help young people quit should text "QUIT" to (202) 899-7550.
Frequently Asked Questions
You may qualify for NRT through your health insurance. In most cases, Medi-Cal members can also get quitting aids (such as patches, lozenges, or gum) from their pharmacy free of charge, with a prescription from their doctor. If you have Medi-Cal insurance, please click here for more information on how to get free NRT.
Pregnant smokers may also qualify for a free two-week starter kit of nicotine patches sent directly to their home. To see if you call qualify, call 1-800-NO-BUTTS or click here to register online.
All of the services listed on this page (group classes, telephone support, etc) are 100% FREE for adults and youth who live in San Luis Obispo County. No insurance information is required and all information is confidential.
Free telephone counseling through California Smokers' Helpine is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese. Counselors are available weekdays, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Or sign up 24/7 online.
- English: 1-800-NO-BUTTS (1-800-662-8887)
- Spanish: 1-800-45-NO-FUME (1-800-456-6386)
- Chinese: 1-800-838-8917
- Korean: 1-800-556-5564
- Vietnamese: 1-800-778-8440
E-cigarettes are not approved by the FDA as a quit smoking aid. So far, the research shows there is limited evidence that e-cigarettes are effective for helping smokers quit. There are other proven, safe, and effective methods for quitting smoking. Our counselors can help you figure out which treatment strategy is right for you.