County Public Libraries Celebrating 100 Years
Author: Library Administration
2/15/2019 11:42:53 AM
2019 marks the 100th anniversary of the County of San Luis Obispo Public Libraries. To celebrate, County Library branches have a full calendar of centennial programs and events.
2019 marks the 100th anniversary of the County of San Luis Obispo Public Libraries. To celebrate, County Library branches have a full calendar of centennial programs and events. Here are some highlights:
- A special edition Centennial Library Card was released in January and will be available through the end of the year or while supplies last. Patrons can pick up one of these commemorative cards and open a new account or link the card to their current account.
- The Library has launched a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds to purchase a grave marker for San Luis Obispo’s first librarian, Margaret Milne. Milne currently lies in an unmarked grave in the San Luis Cemetery. The link to the GoFundMe page is: https://www.gofundme.com/slo039s-first-librarian-lies-in-an-unmarked-grave
- Free calendars are available at all library branches, while supplies last. The calendars include historical photos, historical library dates and dates of many free programs taking place at libraries throughout the county.
- Library branches will be featuring historical exhibits with photos and artifacts throughout the year.
- The Library will be publishing SLO County Libraries: A Brief History by local historian Joseph Carotenuti. The book traces the history of each branch of the County of San Luis Obispo Public Libraries and includes many historical photos.
- All County of SLO Libraries open on July 6, 2019 will be hosting Library Birthday Parties. The parties are free and open to the public.
There will be historical lectures, films and other events occurring throughout the year. A full calendar of events can be found at slolibrary.org. Or follow County of San Luis Obispo Public Libraries on Facebook for event and program updates.