Williamson Act Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance

What is the process?

Step 1: Verify Vacation Rental is Allowed

1. Check to see if the property is in the Inland Area of the County.

  • If in the Coastal Zone, a Minor Use Permit is required.


2. Check if property is in the Williamson Act or in the Adelaida / Willow Creek Area.


3. Complete form below to verify if a vacation rental zoning clearance can be applied for at a specific property:

Verify if Proposed Business is Allowed at a Given Location
(500 character limit)
Enter security code:
 Security code

Step 2: What for Response

Wait for Planning staff to reply to the business location verification request before continuing to Step 3.

Step 3: Initiate Application With County Tax Collector

Then initiate a vacation rental business license with the County Tax Collector.

Step 4: Required Documents for Zoning Clearance

Required documents to apply for a Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance in Williamson Act.


1. Completed Consent of Property Owner Form.

2. A Site Plan of the entire property and proposed vacation rental

3. Completed Land Owner's Statement of Compliance with Williamson Act.

4. A copy of the Williamson Act Contract for the property (obtain from Clerk-Recorder)


If property is also in Adelaida Vacation Rental Ordinance Area, also provide required documents in Step 4 of Inland Vacation Rental.

Step 5: Apply for Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance Online

Then apply for Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance online.


1. Access the Citizen Self Service (CSS) Portal.  

2. Find the "Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance"

3. Select "Apply" 

4. Upload documents in Step 4 before submitting.

Step 6: Pay Invoice

Planning staff will email the applicant an invoice, which the applicant can pay online here*.

*Make sure to add INV to the invoice number (e.g. INV2021-01234), when searching for invoice online.

Step 7: Tax Collector Continues Processing

Once Planning staff approves the Zoning Clearance, the Tax Collector continues processing the application, which may require the approval of additional departments and/or agencies.

Who can use this service?

This service is available to anyone applying for a County vacation rental business license that:

  • Proposes a new vacation rental; or
  • A change of ownership of an existing vacation rental

Is there a charge for this service?

Please refer to the Department of Planning & Building Fee Schedule for application fees.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Frequently Asked Questions


Public Information and Permit Processing Online Services

Preview of Public Information and Permit Processing Online Services (CSS Portal)

Connect with us on Facebook

For Department News and Updates

Follow Us On Facebook

CA COVID-19 Rent Relief

Housing is Key

CA COVID-19 Rent Relief