What is this service?
The Department of Planning and Building reviews new vacation rental applications in Williamson Act to see if they comply with the County's land use ordinance and Rules of Procedure.
Vacation Rentals are not allowed in: Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs), Guesthouses, or Farm Support Quarters.
Step 1: Verify Vacation Rental is Allowed
1. Check to see if the property is in the Inland Area of the County.
- If in the Coastal Zone, a Minor Use Permit is required.
2. Check if property is in the Williamson Act or in the Adelaida / Willow Creek Area.
3. Complete form below to verify if a vacation rental zoning clearance can be applied for at a specific property:
Verify if Proposed Business is Allowed at a Given Location
Step 2: What for Response
Wait for Planning staff to reply to the business location verification request before continuing to Step 3.
Step 3: Initiate Application With County Tax Collector
Then initiate a vacation rental business license with the County Tax Collector.
Step 5: Apply for Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance Online
Then apply for Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance online.
1. Access the Citizen Self Service (CSS) Portal.
2. Find the "Vacation Rental Zoning Clearance"
3. Select "Apply"
4. Upload documents in Step 4 before submitting.
Step 6: Pay Invoice
Planning staff will email the applicant an invoice, which the applicant can pay online here*.
*Make sure to add INV to the invoice number (e.g. INV2021-01234), when searching for invoice online.
Step 7: Tax Collector Continues Processing
Once Planning staff approves the Zoning Clearance, the Tax Collector continues processing the application, which may require the approval of additional departments and/or agencies.
Who can use this service?
This service is available to anyone applying for a County vacation rental business license that:
- Proposes a new vacation rental; or
- A change of ownership of an existing vacation rental
Is there a charge for this service?
Please refer to the Department of Planning & Building Fee Schedule for application fees.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.