What is this service?
Foster Care, also known as "out of home care", is a service provided to youth who have been removed from the care of their parents or other caregivers due to risk or experience of abuse, neglect, or exploitation. Youth in out of home care are provided a stable and supportive environment while the issues that led to their removal are addressed or an alternate permanent plan can be made.
Who can use this service?
Families who have an active dependency case through the San Luis Obispo County Superior Court are eligible for this service.
Is there a charge for this service?
This service is provided free of charge.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is provided through the Department of Social Services in partnership with San Luis Obispo County Superior Court to all children who are dependents or wards of the Court and are ordered into out of home placement.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
Morro Bay Social Services
600 Quintana Road Morro Bay , CA 93442
Tel: (805) 772-6405
Fax: (805) 772-6409
SLO Social Services- Higuera
3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Arroyo Grande Social Services
1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420
681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444
Atascadero Social Services
9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422
Paso Robles Social Services
406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of placement options exist?
The following are placement options that are considered for Foster Care:
- Non-Related Extended Family Members (NREFM) – Adults known to the youth
- Resource Family Homes
- Foster Family Agencies (FFA) – Private agency licensure, regulated by state mandates
- Short Term Residential Therapeutic Programs (STRTP) – A residential facility that provides an integrated program of specialized and intensive care and supervision, services and supports, and treatment
Do you have questions regarding eligibility & utilization of foster care services?
If you have questions regarding eligibility and utilization of foster care services, please contact the San Luis Obispo County Department of Social Services – Child Welfare at (805) 781-1700 and ask to speak to the Supervisor of the Day.
How to obtain additional information?
To obtain additional information or to inquire about becoming a Resource Family (previously foster parent), please contact our Resource Family Recruitment, Retention and Support line at (805) 781-1705, or visit our website at www.slofostercare.com. Regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5pm.
Contact Social Services
Child and Adult Hotline Information:
- If you suspect there is an emergency requiring immediate intervention, call 911
- To report suspected child abuse or neglect call the 24 hour Child Abuse Hotline at (805) 781-KIDS (5437) or toll free 1-800-834-KIDS (5437)
- To report suspected elder abuse or neglect call the Adult Services Hotline at (805) 781-1790 during regular business hours, or after business hours call (844) 729-8011